Col. Coti's Grandson KIA

The Passing of 2/9ers or members of their family and also when there is an Illness

Moderator: Fasst1

Col. Coti's Grandson KIA

Postby gcoronado » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:47 am

I regret to inform everyone that I received the following email from Col. Coti today. Those of you who attended the Reunion last November may have met him, as he was the youngest Marine and cut the cake with his grandfather, Col. Coti.

"You remember my grandson CPL Niall Coti Sears, USMC at last year’s 2/9 reunion. He truly had a great time and admired all the Vietnam Vets. I received news that he was killed in Afghanistan, on 20 June 2012. His platoon was on patrol when they were attacked. Niall got badly wounded in his legs, the same as Bob Staump. The Corpsman put tourniquets as high as he could on his legs. Within 5 minutes a helicopter landed and he was med evac to 1/7’s hospital. The doctor had to cut both of legs off in order to save his life, but the trauma was too much for him and he died on the operating table.

We are going to Dover AFB on Tuesday when his body arrives, and after 5-7 days we are taking him to Arlington National Cemetery, for his final resting place."
gcoronado

Re: Col. Coti's Grandson KIA

Postby Doc Schmidt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Doc Schmidt Echo Co 2/9 1967
Doc Schmidt

Return to Deaths and Illness