The USS Upshur (Who went to Nam by ship?)

Moderator: Fasst1

Re: The USS Upshur (Who went to Nam by ship?)

Postby John Foster » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:25 am

Speaking of the Gunny that made us burn shitters, Do you guys remember Gy Conradt? I remember staying away from him as much as I could. I got to know him and his wife pretty well over the past few years. Ed Conradt turned out to be a pretty damn good guy. He passed away last week and I will be attending the grave side services on Thursday, March 13 at Rosecrann's Nat'l Cemetary in San Diego. Nothing would have pleased him more than having his 2/9 family attend. Rest in Peace Gunny.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby Moring » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:12 am

John, was Gunny Ed from San Diego? If so, here is a photo I took of him back in March/68 at Camp Carroll, a couple of days before I left. I met him again in 2008 at the DC Reunion. It was a real a pleasure to set down and speak with him after all those years.

RIP Gunny, and Simper Fi.
Attachments
Gunny.jpg
Gunny.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 25777 times
Moring

Postby John Foster » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:33 pm

That is him. I have a pic of him and Agnes I would like to upload but I'm afraid I do not know how to.
Attachments
Gunny%20&%20Agnes%20Conradt.jpg
Gunny%20&%20Agnes%20Conradt.jpg (12.86 KiB) Viewed 25772 times
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby John Foster » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Holy Crap !!!! I did it.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby willie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:49 pm

Getting close to Danang Harbor, March 1967. Pack your sea bag Joe...
Willie
willie

Postby willie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Fill those sand bags Marine...
Willie
willie

Postby willie » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Hey Joe,
Your post must have set a record, over 10,000 views. I go back and skim over some of the replies every so often.
It's like a trip down memory lane, well kinda of. At the time I thought the boat ride to Danang harbor was bad.
Then the ride in 6X's to Phu Bai and the lead jeep getting blown up. Jumping out and setting up a little perimeter.
Did we even have our rifles then. Shows you how bad my memory is.
Seems like just the other day.
Willie
willie

Postby gunsup » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Alva, Jack Hartzel here! I went to Nam on a ship, it was called the USS Francis Marion in Dec of 66. We had Merchant Marines running the ship. A buddy of mine talked me into volunteering for the night laundry detail. The best thing I could ever do. The Philippino that ran it stole food from the Captains mess every night and in the morning we got to butt in front of the chow line. We never had to do any other cleaning on the ship. I remember standing on the deck in formation and Marines would get sick and it would blow back over us. A lot of guys got sick, I was lucky I never did. We stopped at Okinawa and a Marine hit a Sgt in the head with a fire ax. He must have went to Lebenworth (Sp). I had a boss at Amtrak that went to Nam on the same ship, he was in Delta 1/9. He had three hearts!
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
gunsup

Postby Moring » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:09 am

Hello Jack and Willie.
Well, it looks like we three were sea going bell hops for about a month heading for Nam. Willie, and I also stopped off in Okinawa for about eight hours, then on to Da Nang. So, where have you been Jack? I still get a laugh every time I think about the time you said you let a villager at D-5 chew on your watch you were selling him, and then tried to pay you off in Monopoly money for the watch.

SF
Alva
Moring

Postby willie » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Joe,
How about the racks, seemed like they went 10 high. If you were on the bottom rack and a guy above you hurled his cookies
You got the splatter. And the blow back on the top deck was nice. I liked watching the food on my tray move left and right.
Sure wasnt a pleasure cruise.
Willie
willie

Postby Moring » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:42 pm

Willie, I thought we were on the Princes Cruse lines. The chow was free, and the entertainment which was watching the flying fish at the bow and having the ship rise up and down all night on rough seas. Or when they would have someone bend down to look in a box that had a Sea Bat they caught. Then slap them on the butt with a broom. Do you remember having the Army at the front of the ship. We had the Aft or rear. Figures, Marines always get it in the Aft! I thought it was cool to sleep like packed Sardines, pity the guy that was claustrophobic though. Hey! we never got our Ridding The Waves Ribbon or RTWR. I think the ribbon is ocean blue with a dolphin in the center. Now the Sanctuary was a different story.
Moring

Postby willie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:02 am

Princess Cruise ships break down. Not a chance the Navy Upshur would. I was thinking, what did we do all day on that boat...water ski... And to think, I wanted to get off that boat. Until we did. How eerie was it pulling into danang harbor at night.
No I don't recall Army troops onboard..let's see, we were last on and first off..
You got a trip to the Sanctuary. Too bad. If you were sent to the Repose we could have been roommates..I had pretty good duty, elevator operator. once they figure they can put you to work your days on board are short. Good chow and liberty in Alongapo City.
Then it was back to the real world.
Willie
willie

Postby pat » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Willie
as you know i was not on the Upshur but on the Johnny walker a merchant marine ship out of San Diego, we did have about 500 army guys with us and about 1500 marines, not sure about the numbers. all I remember is how many of us got sea sick about two days out and all of us throwing up in the head while holding on to a steel pipe that went from the floor to the ceiling. we finally got our sea legs and continued on. made a stop in oky for refuel and landed in Danang.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby willie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Pat,
After Alva and I had checked in with 2/9 we worked filling sand bags until the company came back from an operation.
I'm not sure if it was at Khe Sahn but I know Echo was there in March right before we got there. Anyway I do remember everybody being pissed off when They came in. So I get put into 3rd platoon, 3rd squad. Later that same day a guy comes around and says, we need one guy for an LP tonight. Points at me. One of the guys in my new fire team says, he's not going,
It's his first night with us. Big argument starts, I'm just watching and listening. Finally one guy says, I'll go in his place. Then
There's more arguing. The guy leaves and gets somebody from another team..
How's that for an introduction to your team.
S/F
Willie
You roasting in AZ. Alva said it was 114.
willie

Postby John Foster » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Hey Alva,
I don't remember Jack Hartzel getting screwed with monopoly money but I sure did. Up at D-5 one of the ARVNs wanted to buy a set of jungle utes I had. I don't remember the amount but when I gave him the utes he gave me monopoly money. The fucking gook showed me where it said In God We Trust on the play money. I went to the Lt and he told me that's what I get for bartering. Hmm! I wonder if a Marine bought something from him with monopoly money ??
John Foster on point
John Foster

PreviousNext

Return to 2/9 General Discussion