November 30, 1967

Moderator: Fasst1

November 30, 1967

Postby mr billwilly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:30 am

November 30, 1967, The longest day in Vietnam. 2/9 Marched North as the green tracers headed South and the journey ended with heavy casualties in the NVA bunkers and bomb craters near Gia Binh.

I do not know how you were able to keep moving North. I have little flashes of memory as you lead me north.

The difficulties after dark and the scene at daylight.
Attachments
map Con Thien.jpg
map Con Thien.jpg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 28606 times
mr billwilly

Re: November 30, 1967

Postby mr billwilly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:50 am

On November 25, 1967 I wrote home from Camp JJ Carroll:

"By the time you read this you will be reading in your newspapers about 2/9 and another Battallion in the DMZ taking heavy casualties. I do not know if we left from Carroll on the 30th or if we spent the night before November 30th in the bush near Con Thien.

I had a map but they had just cleared the trace which removed all landmarks. We headed North across the trace, (we did not have a name for the trace) and moved North all day. Had no idea where we were at specifically and therefore no firemissions. No spotter plane or air strikes as it rained all day. Could not see more than two or three marines where I was as the elephant grass was chest high. Would have been easy to get separated.

My four flashes of memory a week later and 44 years later are 1)sniper in the trace not shooting at us 2) green tracers everywhere as we kept moving forever North 3) someone borrowed my flashlight after dark I assumed to tend the wounded 4) Dec 1st daylight revealed bomb craters, heavy bush and NVA casualties.

We got out of there that day and spent the first 23 days of December in a moonson 2000 meters to the south.

The only record I have found of November 30th is of the 2/9 marines on the virtual wall date of casualty November 30, 1967.
mr billwilly

Postby tomfen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Lest we forget....................November 30 1967 was a bad day for some of the members of 2/9.

It was worse for the NVA, but somehow that didn't seem to matter.

May our men rest in peace.

Tom F Fox, 67-68
tomfen

Postby pat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 pm

what I remember most about late Nov. up to just before Christmas when we got back to Carroll was that we ran into some heavy contact with nva, found a lot of bunkers and munition and a field hospital under ground. we took control of the area and remember engineers setting up a charge to a large pile of munition. after we left the area I'm assuming it was blown up. never really knew where the hell we were just followed orders and went where they told us.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby Moring » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Pat I remember that op very well, it was called "Kentucky V" It was bad news. That's also where I heard some talking about us running into some Red Chinese in that fight. I remember looking at a couple of bodies that were of a larger size then the average Vietnamese, so they could have been. I also remember someone having a news-paper, Stars and Strips? a short time later telling where "Marines Fight with Reds in DMZ". Our main purpose out there was to sweep, and clear the area, and set up security for the construction Team, and engineers to build 'A-3. That's where we also received our second MUC for the 9th Marines. It was my last op in Leatherneck Square. After returning to Camp Carroll we worked out of D-5, and then Hill 37, then home for me in March/68.

Joe
Last edited by Moring on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moring

Postby pat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 am

when we got back to Caroll just before Christmas Sgt. Holler was passing out mail in our tent and gave me the good news that my orders were in to go back to the world. he also said that anyone rotating back in January would not have to go back to the field. that's when it set in that I made it I survived it. had to be one of the best days of my life.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby Moring » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 am

I bet that was a 'Great feeling, when you got the news about going home. I remember finishing lunch at the mess hall, then as I was walking by the CO office, one of clerks came out and told me that my orders back to the world had just come in. He said it would take a couple of days to process them, and then I would be out of there. So, I am dancing in the wind just then I could hear the sound of NVA heavy arty firing from across the valley. I ,and several others headed for a large bunker. I am thinking 'maybe I could just stay down here for a couple of days, but after going through so much of this type of situation for so long, I got out of the bunker, and I went back down to perimeter where we were manning the lines at the time.

PS. You know Pat, I never figured out why in the hell they built that large mess hall. You could see it for miles with its bright new tin roofing. They might have well put a bull's eye on top. But mine was no longer the 'Reason why' mine was just to get my ass out of there, and I did.

Joe
Moring

Postby pat » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:39 pm

for some reason I don't remember a large mess hall, when was it built?
all I remember is a tent that was set up as a mess hall where we went to get the food
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby Moring » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Hey Pat! I seem to recall they had just started building it about the time you were leaving. We were still eating in the old mess hall you refered to as 'A tent" That's about what it was to. The new mess hall was much bigger. I remember eathing there a few times before I left Nam. It was a little creepy eating in there because it was much bigger target.
Moring

Postby pat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 pm

I thought so Joe,I recall making a raid with another marine when we got back from the bush around Christmas, after we all ate and the tent was closed up for the evening we went in and took out two large trays of pie. we brought them in our tents and recall everybody just stuffing their face with pie digging in with their hands, did not have any silverware, never got caught. those are some of the fun times we had over there.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby Moring » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:38 pm

I remember a similar incident that happened with me, and another marine at Khe Sanh in May/67 during the "Hill Fights". We were standing lines at that time. One day, we were eating lunch at the Mess Hall, the only one on the Base at that time. As we went through the line, we saw they were serving chicken, and corn on the cob. We ask if we could have two pieces of chicken, no way! As we sat down to eat, a really wild Monsoon came pouring in through the screens, and water began to fill up the pots, and pans of food. The Cooks went scrambling for cover, of course, we being use to such storms, and living in the open, we started grabbing chicken, and corn. I have read where that mess hall, which was the original one built when the Special Forces still controlled Khe Sanh, took a rocket and was destroyed during the Siege. But by the time of the Siege, they had built several mess halls.
Moring

Postby pat » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:27 pm

that holiday food we got when we got back to the rear was soooooo good compared to those c-ration we were eating in the field. I remember filling my mess gear up at least 6 inches high with everything I could fit in there.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby Moring » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:54 pm

Pat, do you remember every time we came in from the field after being out there a couple of weeks and eating cold C-Rats, they would give us a big stake and potato feast, plus all the beer that had been saving up with the sodas. Boy! we would eat and drink up a storm and then it seemed like a lot of us got the Sh#ts the next day. But, we still loaded up every time because it was sooooooo Gooood!

Joe
Moring

Postby pat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:47 pm

IMG_0001.jpg
camp Carrol
IMG_0001.jpg (138.49 KiB) Viewed 28190 times

one of two pictures I have of me in Viet Nam. at camp Carrol during monsoons
the flyers are what they were shooting at us from the north while at Con Thien, in between the real rounds.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby tomfen » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm sure we each have dates that are burned in our memory forever.
November 30, 1967 is just one of those dates.

May those who gave all on that day rest in peace.
And may we live our lives with dignity in their memory.

Semper Fidelis, Tom F, Fox 67-68
tomfen

Next

Return to 2/9 General Discussion