who remembers a fire mission on our own men/67

Moderator: Fasst1

who remembers a fire mission on our own men/67

Postby pat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:15 pm

I recall a fire mission on some NVA positions probably in the fall of 67 in which a platoon sgt. called in the wrong coordinace or the artilery command got it wrong but they landed on his own men and also wounded him pretty bad. it wasn't my platoon (2nd) so it had to be 1st or 3rd platoon.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Re: who remembers a fire mission on our own men/67

Postby jhenderson » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Pat,
My name is Jack Henderson. Don't know if this is what you are looking for but here goes. As I remember, it was late August or early September of 67. I had just joined Echo 1st platoon when we were called out to some hill that someone said Bravo 1/9 had been over run the night before. To make a long story short, I shared a hole with on that hill with Burnett (don't remember his first name), Daniel Boone, and Jimmy LaRotta. During that first night, being harassed with some type of explosives, a short round or something which I thought was from a 175 hit just feet in front of our hole. Marines from both sides of us came running to our aid. I thought we were gone as did everyone else. We were lucky and no one got hurt. I keep in touch with Henry Lynch, and as he recalls, said that the round came from the New Jersey. And on a different note, the hill was illuminated constantly, when one of the canisters came down and hit Burnett square in the head. All four of us scrambled out of that hole as you can imagine. (true story) Burnett was our team leader, don't remember where he was from. Boone was from Florida, LaRotta New Jersey, and I PA. As we got off the choppers, some said that the bodies inside the lines were Chinese. Hope this helps.
Semper Fi
Jack
jhenderson

Postby Moring » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Pat, I remember another incident that took place in early Sept/67. We (3rd plt) Echo Co went out on a patrol, this was up around the' Strip' area. We went out about a half mile, or more when we were fired on by the NVA. We quickly set a defense perimeter.Now, I was told that the FO, who was located in the center of our perimeter set up, called in 81's from our battalion back where our Company was located. The 81's landed too far out, I did see the explosions from them. Now this is the part I was told happend next, that a Staff /sgt got anxious and took over the hand set from the FO. The S/sgt told them to drop in closer which the mortarmen did, only to have them land in the center of our position. I had a close friend,Hermon Phelps, who was the platoon radioman, and he was killed, and the S/sgt was hit in the jaw. Several others were wounded, the FO, and even some on the perimeter. It was not a good day.

PS. I checked on the Web, and I found where 'Herman Phelps' was killed on Sept/4/1967. So, that was the date.

SF
Joe
Moring

Postby pat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm

joe
i think that was the date and what happened I also remember the s/sgt. getting hit in the jaw area.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby pat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Jack
I remember a marine named Henry Lynch I thought he was with 2nd platoon but I did call him and talked with him for a while. If I remember correctly he lives up in Maine or new Hampshire and he told me he is a small plane pilot. is this the same marine?
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Return to 2/9 General Discussion