combat action medal

Moderator: Fasst1

combat action medal

Postby pat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 pm

I HEARD A WHILE BACK THAT THE MARINE CORPS WAS GOING TO CREATE A MEDAL FOR THE NOW COMBAT ACTION RIBBON, DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY NEWS ON THIS.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Re: combat action medal

Postby Moring » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Pat there is an award called the 'Combat Action Medal' but this is awarded to Air-Force personal. A few years ago the VFW tried to get a medal approved for the 'Combat Action Ribbon' but that idea feel through. I think it is pretty sad that the 'CAR' is listed as an 'Individual Award' on the 'Pyramid of Honor', yet it has no medal, nor citation. And the real kicker is, any US Army personal that have earned the 'Combat Infantry Badge' are entitled to apply for, and receive the 'CAR,' even if they never served with a Navy, or Marine unit in combat, however, if you earned the CAR, you can't apply for and receive the ' Combat Infantry Badge' even if you served in combat with a US Army unit.

Joe
Moring

Postby pat » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:15 am

thanks Joe now I' updated.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby Doug Goodin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Joe,
Don't know where you got your information regarding other service members applying for the CAR...the following paragraph is from the Navy Marine Corps Awards Manual:

(d) Current DON personnel who were formerly in the U.S. Army and earned the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat
Medical Badge, upon submission of official military documentation to their commanding officer, may be authorized to wear the CR.

As you can see, this applies to active duty and reserve members of the Marine Corps who may have earned Combat Action awards (CIB, CAB, CMB, Combat Action Medal) while in the Army or Air Force. (I have met a few Marine Reservist who earned a CIB with prior service in the Army...they are wearing the CAR...apparently, Marines with prior military service and who have earned a CIB are not allowed to wear the badge on their Marine Corps uniform...still researching this point)
Service members who are current members of the Army and Air Force who have earned the CIB, Combat Action Badge, Combat Medical Badge or the Air Force's Combat Action Medal CANNOT APPLY FOR AND/OR WEAR THE NAVY MARINE CORPS COMBAT ACTION RIBBON.

SF
Doug

DON = Department of the Navy
CR = Combat Action Ribbon
Doug \"Goodie\" Goodin, E/2/9, Dec '66 to Jan '68
Doug Goodin

combat action medal

Postby Moring » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:44 pm

SF
Joe
Moring

Postby willie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey Pat, your not thinking about joining the Army are you?
Willie
willie

Postby pat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 am

NO,you know what they say once you been with the best you can forget the rest. I think that's how it goes. lol
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby willie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Pat,
That's sounds like the line my recruiter used on me.......but it still rings true.
Willie
willie

Return to 2/9 General Discussion