Question: MCRD Graduations

Moderator: Fasst1

Question: MCRD Graduations

Postby Moring » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Some time back, I was in San Diego, and I went to an MCRD Graduation. I noticed that in several of the platoons graduating there were Lance Corporals in the platoons. Now I know that a select few will receive PFC out of each platoon, but I didn't understand about the Lance Corporals. Can anyone explain this?

Thank You
SF
Joe
Moring

Re: Question: MCRD Graduations

Postby AK48 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Hey Joe, I can't explain that but appears the Corps has made it easier to make rank than in our day. Kind of dilutes the value of PFC AND Lance? I remember hearing in the '60s that Army could make E-5 straight out of boot camp. I was amazed. SF, Allyn (E-4 straight out of 2/9)
AK48

Postby Moring » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for your reply Allyn. Yes, I too wander if the promotion scale has become a 'Little Lax' in Boot-Camp I have also thought about individuals that may have reenlisted into the Corps from another branch, and at graduation, or shortly after were given an advanced promotions closer back to their original rank from their prior service, just a thought. I know that in Nam picking up PFC, and L/Cpl was fairly easy. Maybe they did that because individuals that had good leadership could step in as Teem-Leaders, and Squad-Leaders in case the former Teem-Leaders went home, KIA, or WIA. I was promoted to PFC, in the States, and two months later, after being in Nam about a month, I was promoted to L/Cpl. Going from L/Cpl to Cpl (NCO) was never that easy. Yet, Cpl to Sgt (E-5) was much easer in Nam, not so much in the States.
SF
Joe
Moring

Postby AK48 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Hey Joe, Yes, prior service might the reason. In the '60s only 2 boots could earn PFC per platoon, the "outstanding recruit" and the one with the highest rifle score. (As I remember) SF, Allyn
AK48

Postby Curt Baillie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:08 pm

AK48 - Your memory is correct.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Postby willie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Hey Joe,
I don't know about guys making LCPL out of boot camp , doubt that would have happened in the 60's.
I'm sure the old pro and con marks came into play. I had a buddy that went to NCO school after his tour. He came in first in his class and the word was he would make E-5. Didn't happen.
There was one way to make rank back in our day, re up for 6 more.....I thought about it for about 5 seconds....then became a civilian. You know, like they called us in boot camp, civilian slime.?.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby pat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 am

I was promoted twice for the same rank of pfc (still have the paper work), once in dec. 66 at camp pendleton and again a few months later in Nam and then L/cpl a few months later again.
just think if we had computers back then, would have made a few extra dollars. lol
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby tomfen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 pm

A bit off topic, but about rank....
After graduation from P.I. an instructor at ITR, a Sargent Maldinado (sp?), always made us dive into the dirt when he yelled 'incoming'.
He never let up......again and again he would pull this stunt.
Pity the recruit who hesitated.....Maldinado was quickly all over him.

Two months or so later I began to realize why this Sargent was so relentless.

I met Maldinado in Danang the very day I was rotating (11/68). He was a PFC.......returning for an second tour.

Musta done something to incur the wrath of the Green Machine. Imagine that?

There's a place in heaven for the Maldinado's of the Corps.

Tom F Fox, 67-68
tomfen

Postby Tom Reasch » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:59 pm

I was at MCRD graduation and saw this and asked a Drill Instructor. He said one Marine gets the Chesty Puller Recruit Honor Company Honor Graduate Award for each graduating Company for Top recruits. And also the Top Honor Recruit at the Rifle range. Also you can make PFC on the delayed entry program to Boot camp. I did this. I enlisted then left for Boot Camp 4 months later.

Tom Reasch
81\"s 2/9/3 What else can be said, except 2/9 was \"Hell in a Helmet\"!!!!!!!!!!
Tom Reasch

Return to 2/9 General Discussion