Short story

Moderator: Fasst1

Short story

Postby tomfen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:54 am

The Food Game

Resupply in the bush………

Sometimes the chopper brought our resupply with a cargo net hooked to the bottom of the fuselage and quickly deposited the food and supplies without touching the ground. Other times there were personnel arrivals, dead/wounded, rotators, or lucky R&R departures which caused the bird to touch down, however briefly. This required those aboard the craft to toss the cases of c-rats (ammo, mortars) very quickly to us, the ’work party’.

Work parties were a hastily arranged group of ‘volunteers’ chose by leadership.
The Platoon Sargent would ‘requisition’ a man from each squad for work. The chosen were usually FNGs, but not always; sometimes special talent was required. The task could have been a water run to a stream to refill canteens, collecting trash, burning shitters,…….and of course, get and distribute the inbound supplies.

The gunny was the man in charge of this mission. The gunny was always in charge.

After communication between ground and air the big bird came in and made the drop.

The timing here is critical because the moment the gunny is distracted (and believe me it’s only a moment) a full case of C-rats vanishes. Now…… just keep a straight face and continue to unload anything else. Look busy.

He never saw it disappear, but when he has the time to make a count………..he begins to swear loudly. By then that case had been moved to a more secure location and all of us had this ‘wasn’t me gunny’ look. Eye contact was rough.

Wouldn’t be until later that those with special talents shared peaches and pound cake all the while with a watchful eye for the GUNNY.

This game of ‘get an extra case’ became a challenge and a brief escape from the reality that existed. Let’s call it ‘fun for misfits’.

Its memories of times like this that I’ve come to cherish.

Hope you do to.

Smokem if ya got em………

S/F, Tom F Fox, 67-68
tomfen

Return to 2/9 General Discussion