KINGFISHER BEGINS

Moderator: Fasst1

KINGFISHER BEGINS

Postby pat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:51 pm

AT THIS TIME 6:30 PM EASTERN TIME ZONE JULY 28TH IS ACTUALLY 5:30 AM JULY 29 TH IN THE VIET NAM TIME ZONE, ITS ABOUT THE TIME WE WERE WAKING UP AND GETTING READY TO MOVE OUT FROM THE BEN HAI RIVER NORTH VIET NAM TO ONE OF THE WORST DAYS THAT WE MARINES OF 2/9 WOULD EVER ENCOUNTER AND NEVER FORGET. BLESS THE SOULS THAT LEFT US THAT DAY AND PEACE TO US WHO SURVIVED IT.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Re: KINGFISHER BEGINS

Postby Fasst1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am

Pat,
Dennis Murphy and I have had several discussions about those two days. As I'm sure all of you do that were there, he says they were the worst two days of his life!

Danny
Network Administrator

2/9 12/66-6/67; Philly Naval Hospital; 3/2 8/67-4/68; MAG-24/H&MS-24 4/68-6/69

Fasst1

Postby pat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:45 am

Danny
those two days were the worst for me too, did not think I was going to make it out of there that day. and then came Con Thien in September/October .
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby willie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Guys,
I remember waking up and hearing that high pitched whistle that comes with incoming rocket fire. From that moment on all hell broke loose. Shortly after getting on the road a vehicle, probably a tank got blown up along with several Marines nearby.
A lot went on that day but I can only remember what went on around me. At one point we had no leader. Lt. Kirsch as gone along with White his radioman. Some got out before nightfall and some stayed on the road. Never quite figured this out.
I was with Olsen and Wifong when they disappeared into the bush. After it got dark I seem to recall a Marine lighting up a cigarette and paying for it with a round to the head.
The NVA were real close to us during the night. One actually said in English, you die tonight Marine...
So I agree, the worst two days of my life.
RIP, those we lost that day. For the rest of us, it just didn't make any sense..
S/F
Willie
E 2/9
3rd platoon
willie

Postby Babysohn » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Willie, just got around from vacation to look at the web site and I read the discussion about Kingfisher. I was one of the Company that was left out there overnight. I got sent back down the road to link up with the other part of the platoon that had Mike Gaffney in it and Dave Wallis was the platoon sergeant I believe. I know he was my squad leader at one time. Anyway, as we were ready to move out, I gave a magazine to Mike Gaffney and started to head back to link up with the rest of the platoon when Dave Wallis asked me for some information. Gaffney went around me and before I knew it, he got hit in the back of the head by a sniper
and fell onto the road. A corpsman started to work on him and I was told to go with two other guys to try to flank around the NVA. I had my rifle blown out of my hands and I needed to find new hand guards. I found out that two of the guys got killed. We remained out there overnight before we could get out the next day.
I have heard from Wallis and even went down to his winter residence, a little south of here. I have read several accounts of Kingfisher and I remember almost all of it.
Babysohn

Postby willie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:06 am

Babysohn,
How did you get that nickname. Anyway I've been off line for a long time. What I remember about Kingfisher is limited to small events that happened during the ambush. The whole thing has never been clear in my mind. I got knocked unconscious at one point and it affected my memory. There was a lot of confusion once we got hit with incoming rounds.
I've talked with fire team buds and they have refreshed my memory over the years. One guy prefers to " not talk about it".
Which I understand. It's not a pleasant memory.
I read Jack Hartzel's article on kingfisher years ago and it helped clear some things up. Once the gunfire started and we were cut off, most of my squad stayed in a small area off the road. Limited moving around. After it got dark it was a waiting game. Seemed like maybe 10-12 of us in a little perimiter. I suppose there were others on the road for the night
But I didn't see them. I do remember this. The word was, we're not getting out tonight and no help is coming.
What's the chances of this happening. With all the shit going down that day I run into a high school bud from Fox company
In the middle of it all. I still see him off and on.
Still can't figure out why the NVA didn't over run us.
From what you remember how many spent the night on the road and walked out.
Willie
willie

Return to 2/9 General Discussion