Nine Days of Hell on the Hill of Angles (Con Thien)

Moderator: Fasst1

Nine Days of Hell on the Hill of Angles (Con Thien)

Postby Moring » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:42 pm

48 years ago, we started our time in the ' Meet Grinder', Bull's Eye', or its better known name ' Con Thien.
Attachments
Con T.jpg
Con T.jpg (76.96 KiB) Viewed 9476 times
Moring

Re: Nine Days of Hell on the Hill of Angles (Con Thien)

Postby Moring » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:11 am

This day we left Con Thien and returned to 'The Delta Hotel" (Dong Ha) After being in the field from early September/67,and after returning a few days later we loaded up our equipment,boarded a convoy, and headed for Camp Carroll. We took over lines and began running operations from Carroll into the mountains north. As I recall we only made one more major operation in the 'Leatherneck Square" area. This was 'Operation Kentucky V" in late November/67. After that, we returned to Carroll and went to D-5. and later in early Feb/68, during the TET,on to Hill 37 which was my last operation, "Lancaster II" left in late March/68.
Moring

Postby willie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:39 am

Hey Joe, Where you goin with that gun in your hand. Hendrix played it at Woodstock in 1969
Long time no see on the site. I remember you telling me about your time at Con Thien and how crappy it was. Rain, incoming, patrols, all the good stuff. Sorry I had to miss than one.
Here's some of the other all time worst's for 1967.
March, Khe Sahn and the hill fights, Echo company.
May back to Khe Sahn ,Echo company .
July, DMZ the whole batallion
September Con Thien
Somebody will have to fill in the rest of the year.
Talk to you soon Joe
Willie
willie

Postby Moring » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Willie, 'Operation Hickory" (mid May) was a real Ass Kicker. I was wounded in late May/1967, so I can't speak on the ops from June, and July. I came back to duty in early August/67. We had some pretty tight times with the NVA,and lost some good Marines. Of course, Con Thien came along(Really Bad) the next operation I, and others thought was a bad one was 'Kentucky V" in late November/67 in DMZ, and the establishing of
A-3. After that , again some pretty close encounters with NVA, until Hill 37. this was beginning of 'Operation Lancaster II' and was my last op.

I am just grateful I missed operation "Muffin Batter" We know who took the Point on that one don't we Willie.

Your Bro
Pointless Joe
Moring

Postby willie » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Operation Hickory definitely was an ass kicker. It kicked mine early on. I don't know if you remember but a truck got blown up by a mine when we were taking 5 on the side of the road. I got some shrapnel from it and got choppered out. Some guy jumped on the 34 just as it took off. Turns out he was trying to get out of the field. They were waiting for him when we landed and flew him right back out .
So you went back up to the DMZ in November. Didn't know that. The NVA didn't take it kindly to us walking up to their front door. In July our arty and air support kicked the crap out of them but we paid a price. 28 KIA and 200 WIA. We lost some good men that day.
I always felt safe with muffin man on point.
Willie
willie

Return to 2/9 General Discussion