Veteran's Choice Program

Moderator: Fasst1

Veteran's Choice Program

Postby Curt Baillie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:38 am

I don't know if anyone here has had any experience with the Veteran's Choice program, but here's my experience so far.

On January 7th I went to my local VA facility with and issue. Immediately an appointment was set for an ultrasound that was canceled the day befoer the exam saying that a 1/2 hour appointment was not enough time - fair enough. Twelve days later I had the ultrasound and 2 days after, it was decided the issue was beyond what the VA could handle and I was told I would be referred to the Veteran's Choice program. Fifteen days later the case was accepted by Veterans Choice and it took 7 days for the VA to "upload" the case to them. After not hearing from them I called and was told they have the case and they will make an appointment with the DR of my choice. Five days later the DR has confirmed they have yet to call to make an appointment. Here's the kicker....I have to wait for them to make the appointment - I'm not allowed to do it.

In the meantime my issue has gotten worse. Just my experience, If you have had to deal with this process, I hope you have had better results.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Re: Veteran's Choice Program

Postby pat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 pm

I f its a serious problem I would not waste my time with the v a system, I would go to your regular doctor and take care of your problem and send them the bill.
you can make your case for not using the v a system at a later date.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby willie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:46 pm

A good vet buddy is experiencing the same problem with the choice program. Dealing with the VA and appointments can be hard enough. Now you have your primary care doctor, Triwest that actually arranges your appointment with a private doctor and the private doctors office. He told me the communication between the 3 is the Main problem. You get a different story from each one. Then when there's a problem they point the finger at somebody else. Best to take good notes when you talk To anyone. Get their name for sure.
He has finally had his first appointment so it's worked out for him. So just keep at it.
If your problem gets really serious head to the VA ER.
Good luck
Willie
E 2/9
willie

Postby Curt Baillie » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm headed to the hospital tomorrow......enough is enough.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Postby manvel » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:39 pm

The main problem with the Veteran choice program is that the VA can not find many doctors that will take it.The VA was trying to pay less than medicare pays.I know of one veteran that it work good for,he lives about 80 miles from a VA.Also know people who are being bill because the VA has not payed for approve services.
manvel

Postby Curt Baillie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Just an update. I had the surgery on March 11th, everything is fine. The Veterans Choice Champion had to find a Dr. that would do the surgery (as a number of Drs had refused). At first he refused because he had so many cases that had not been paid or by HealthNET. He finally agreed to do it because Veterans Choice guaranteed payment outside of HealthNet.

I just hung up the phone from talking to a reporter that is doing an investigative report for TV about the Veterans Choice and the issues with HealthNet. I found out that there was no bid process and HealthNet was awarded a no-bid Contract.
Bottom line....The VA actually went above and beyond and the real issue is with HealthNet... they are terrible.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Postby Curt Baillie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:39 pm

Good news - I learned today that the VA is in the process of firing HealthNet.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Return to 2/9 General Discussion