Vietnam Magazine August issue

Moderator: Fasst1

Vietnam Magazine August issue

Postby willie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:06 am

There's an article in the magazine about the hill fights from Feb. 25, 1967 to May 9. It includes Capt Terrill and E 2/9.
It's 7 pages long with some pictures of Marines in the area.
Included is the ambush of 1st platoon on March 16. Sgt Lord is mentioned as leading the platoon.
Thought some of you Echo Marines would find it interesting reading.
S/F
Willie
willie

Re: Vietnam Magazine August issue

Postby Fasst1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:10 am

I would certainly be interested in reading that article Willie but won't unless someone can copy/paste it. I'm not going to pay for the magazine. Interestingly, your one point about Sgt. Lord leading the platoon is the first, huge, mistake in the article. The platoon was led by SSgt Spencer Olson.

Danny
Network Administrator

2/9 12/66-6/67; Philly Naval Hospital; 3/2 8/67-4/68; MAG-24/H&MS-24 4/68-6/69

Fasst1

Postby willie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Danny,
I'll try and take some pictures of the article and email them to you. I wasn't in E 2/9 until late March so I don't know the details prior to the May 1 trip to Khe Sanh. The article is a little hard to follow because the writer talks about 1/9 and 2/9
But sometimes just says 9th Marines.
Maybe some other Marines involved will add to the post.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby Fasst1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks for emailing the copied pages Willie. Tough to read but I got it done.
Network Administrator

Fasst1

Postby willie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:03 pm

You'd have to be able to expand the page on your screen to be able to read it.
Otherwise was the article accurate? Seemed like most of the May 1 to May 14 was.
Willie
willie

Postby Doug Goodin » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:13 am

Willie,
Do you have a Printer/Scanner...if you can scan the article and save it as a jpeg image. I'm guessing that the magazine is about the same size as a piece of typing paper 8.5 X 11 inches.
Then you could send it as an attachment in an email. I'd love to read it as well. When I read that Sgt. Lord was the Platoon Leader I thought that it was a pretty big mistake too...
If you can scan it my email is: dpgoodin7@hotmail.com Thanks.
Semper Fi.
Doug
Doug \"Goodie\" Goodin, E/2/9, Dec '66 to Jan '68
Doug Goodin

Postby Moring » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Willie, when Echo went back to Khe Sanh in early May/67, you, and I had just a little over a month in Country. Still pretty green.
I do well remember the plane ride into Khe Sanh that afternoon. Another thing that stands out to me during our stay at KS. Soon after we arrived, they told us to keep a full vigil as they expected a possible all out attack on the base. After we were there a couple of days, and standing the perimeter, I was washing my face from my helmet next to our bunker one afternoon when I heard all kinds of shooting down the way. As I looked up, I saw several marines shooting into the area out side the wire. My squad leader was setting inside the bunker. I told him we were being hit. He stood up, and he looked down the way. Then he told me that we were under attack and for me to pass the word. I grabbed my riffle and poured the water from my helmet and started running down the line yelling that 'We were under attack'. Marines were jumping into their positions, grabbing their riffles,flack-jackets, the works. After getting the word started, I ran back to my position and getting my gear on ready for whatever was to come. But then, I heard, and saw our Captain, and LT coming down the line yelling "WHO PASSED THE WORD WE WERE UNDER ATTACK" Of course, the other positions were pointing down toward our position. When the Captain got to me and still yelling. I told him that I had passed the word. " WHO TOLD YOU WE WERE UNDER ATTACK" WHO IS THIS MAN'S SQUAD LEADER' HE'S GOT THIS WHOLE BASE UP IN ARAMS" My squad leader was standing outside the bunker by this time. He told the Captain that he was my squad-leader and that there had been a misunderstanding. The Captain "MISUNDERSTANDING! THIS MAN HAS GOT THIS WHOLE PLACE READY TO GO" " YOU HAD BETTER EXPLAIN HIS ACTIONS" My squad leader then told the Captain that the marines down the way were test firing their weapons and that I didn't get the word that it was only a test firing, so knowing we were told we could expect an all out attack that the PFC reacted by passing the word down the lines. (My squad-leader knew that they were only test firing their weapons when he told me we were under attack, thinking it would be a good joke. Wrong! After explaining to the Captain, the Captain then had a smile on his face then he said " Now that I understand, and if a man was not informed that it was only a test firing, and that we were told to expect an attack, I would expect him to alert others down the lines. The Captain also added that if this had been an actual attack, I had the whole perimeter ready to go. My Squad-leader was standing looking pretty Dumb that he had tried to pull a joke during a time when there was really serious fighting going on around the hills. Actually, it wasn't the last time he did something stupid, or irresponsible . I often wandered how this guy even became a Squad-leader. "But ours was not to reason why!"
Last edited by Moring on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moring

Postby willie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Doug,
I'm not very good with the computer. I'll have my wife give it a try.
Willie
willie

Postby willie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Joe,
It was a crazy two weeks at KS. From the C-130 flight to the day we left. Remember the word almost every day, "we're going to get overrun tonight." There were twin 40's on one side of my bunker and 50 caliber machine guns on the other.
Claymore mines in front. Fluorescent paint on the back side. Never know when some gook might crawl up to the wire and turn it around on you.
I do remember the ruckus when the word was passed about being under attack. I think I know the squad leader you were talking about, glad he wasn't mine. Things were edgy on the lines anyway. Capt Terrill got into my stuff early on, while on a patrol, when I was a radioman that had no training. We were under sniper attack and he decided to blow up the side of the hill where the gunfire was coming from. LSS, I didn't know how to call in an air strike. He grabbed the handset from me and did it himself. Thank god we got a new guy in our squad and I gave him the pric 25.
One afternoon on the lines they come around saying we need one man from your fire team for an LP tonight. So it starts.
They go back and forth, get somebody else, etc. arguing threatening. Don't remember who went.
Luckily I was in a good squad under Frankie and in a good fire team.
S/F
Willie
What would the ladle say.
willie

Postby Moring » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:49 pm

That seemed to be the initiation for the new guys, give them the Pric-25. Fortunately, I only carried it for a short time. One of the Old timers took me in and showed me how to walk point and to become very observant in the bush. Unfortunately, I got pretty good at it and was given point in some pretty hot areas. I never walked into an ambush,or tripped a booby trap, so I guess I did pretty good. Latter I was Platoon Messenger for LT Carson. I did pretty good in that as well. I think it was because of LT Carson though. He was a Great inspiration to be around and I, and many others had Great respect for him and were proud to serve with him.
As for Frankie, he was another Great marine to be around. He knew his stuff. I can remember when he was a Corporal, and he took charge of the Third Platoon for a time at Con Thien. He was one of the best!

When you told me about him, and the bunker rats at Khe Sanh that was funny.

S/F
Joe

PS. You know the Ladle would never acknowledge our time at Khe Sanh, or even in the War. He was a 'Pric 25.
Moring

Postby willie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:23 am

Joe,
Point man, I never walked it. But we had a guy in my fire team that liked doing it so my team was always near the front of the column. I did some tail end Charlie which made me nervous, well more nervous than I already was.
You know that night in the bunker when Frankie fired his 45 at some rats, I still dream about that now and then. I was dead asleep and woke up to gunfire in the bunker. You think I wasn't jumpy when I had to wake the next guy for his watch. Scared the hell out of me. I woke up one night with one of those giant rats sleeping on my chest.
All this good stuff that happened behind the lines.
That pric 25 was heavy. Uncomfortable With all the other crap we had to carry.
One other thing. Going through all our state side training , boot camp etc, then getting to Nam and finding out like one salty guy told me, we do things different here. No shit.
S/F
Willie
The ladle could tell some tales.
willie

Postby willie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:23 pm

Doug,
I just emailed the article. Let me know when you get it.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby Fasst1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:39 am

There is some accuracy in that article but most of it is pure bullshit. I have no clue where they got their information but it is not correct in many aspects. Just a couple of points. The Sgt. Lord mistake is a big one, but there are others. We never took any damned hill up there. We never even had a chance to try! We did nothing but try to defend ourselves and survive. To this day I don't know why any of us survived because I think if the gooks wanted to that day they could have killed everyone in the platoon, probably in the 2nd platoon of Bravo 1/9 also. As for what happened when the rest of Echo came up the hill supported by, I think, more of 1/9, they didn't do anything the next day but haul ass back to the base. As it has been related to me by two who were there, and one of them just reinforced this portion of the story last weekend, those men were being chased by the gooks and were burning the jungle and elephant grass as they went to keep the gooks from catching them. They were so badly outnumbered they would have been mauled as badly as 1st platoon if they had been caught. There are other mistakes in the article about 16 March, but the ones I pointed out should be enough to make anyone reading this understand that someone who was interviewed for the article was in CYA mode big time.

Danny
Network Administrator

Fasst1

Postby willie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Anybody that would like to reply to the article in Vietmam Magaazine can do so by writing to,

Vietnam Editor
1600 Tysons Blvd, Suite 1140
Tysons, VA 22102-4833

Or
Vietnam@historynet.com

I'll add, I remember reading a Stars and Stripes article about one of our operation back in 1967. As I read it I said, doesn't sound like anything I saw. I will say that getting accurate information probably wasn't easy. I wish Les Stevenson would finish and publish his book on Operation Kingfisher. I know there's some accurate writing about those 3 days in July.

S/F
Willie
willie

Return to 2/9 General Discussion