where did everybody go?

Moderator: Fasst1

where did everybody go?

Postby AK48 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:13 pm

How come most days there are 10-15-20 unregistered viewers on our site and no registered? Did everybody go to facebook or something? Allyn.
AK48

Re: where did everybody go?

Postby tomfen » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Not everybody Allyn.
Some visit almost every night, but don't always contribute to discussion.

I, like you, wish there was more activity.
As the saying goes: 'It is what it is'.

I am glad that we still have this site.......this place where we can go where acceptance is a given.

Hang tough, you have company. S/F, Tom F, Fox, 67-68.
tomfen

Postby Doug Goodin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:09 am

Check this site everyday...sometimes twice...Tom's right...
Semper Fi.
Doug
Doug \"Goodie\" Goodin, E/2/9, Dec '66 to Jan '68
Doug Goodin

Postby AK48 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Tom and Doug, Thanks and Amen. This site has been a life-line for me for years. I'm glad we still have it. SF, Allyn.
AK48

Postby John Foster » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:36 am

I'm guilty. I admit I only get on here about once a month. Some of the posts are over a year old. The first thing I look at is the date of the post. Glad to see you tagged Allyn.
Since I am here I will throw out a question, particularly for Echo Co platoon that was at Delta 5 during January, 68. There was an accidental discharge from a .45 (mine). One Marine was checking the slide safety with a round in the chamber and obviously that safety didn't work. The round went through his hand and into the upper leg of a Marine standing in front of him. Doc Fink had them med-evaced out. Does anyone remember the incident and/or does anyone know the names of the Marines ?
Semper Fi
Gunny John

117 in Palm Springs. Hope everyone is staying cool
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby AK48 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Hey John, I remember the incident but not the names. I was not a witness but I heard that there was some "horse play" involved. SF, Allyn.
AK48

Postby John Foster » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:39 pm

They were fireteam leaders and were doing a night patrol or ambush. One wanted to borrow my .45 to take out. He was razzing me about my .45 not being clean while checking the safeties. No horseplay, just careless.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby AK48 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:45 pm

OK, AK, SF.
AK48

Postby Moring » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:16 pm

I too remember the incident at D-5. with the .45 hitting the guy in hand. and leg. I remember them being choppered out. I also remember one morning while several marines were test firing their weapons, a little kid with an old man came out of the tree lines yelling. The old man had been hit by a bullet. And then there was the incident with the ARVNs when we almost got into a gun battle with them inside the compound. A real fun place!

S/F Joe
Moring

Postby willie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Hey Joe,
I was reading the replies on the accidental discharge and it brought a few incidents to mind. You Remember riding in the back of a 6X on our way to who knows where and some jerk from our platoon was firing rounds over the heads of the locals
Working in the paddies. It started a ruckus among us all but I'm sure if you asked him he'd say it as accidental.
I had a good boot camp buddy that was in 1st MarDiv. He went over on the Upshur with us. I hadn't seen him since we landed in Danag but ran into him at the Chu Lai hospital in August. His platoon was in a fire fight and he was laying in a paddy. Reached for his 45 and it went off, round right through his calf. I left a few days later and didn't see him again till we went to Pendleton. After we got discharged we lived together for some time. We almost never talked about Nam. He moved away to Northern California so I didn't see he much. Got a call from his brother in the early 80's, saying Rick crashed his motorcycle and passed away.. One of those people I wished I'd stayed close friends with but didn't.
Just a reminder, Kingfisher is looming. Stay cool, Az is roasting.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby Moring » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Willie, I do remember one jerk that was shooting at the villagers in the rice fields. Then laughing while the people were running scarred Shi%#$s,as if they didn't have enough to put up with. The guy doing the shooting also threw a red smoke canister into a bus load of people. Again, the people were jumping out of the windows. Finally one Sergeant told him to knock of the bull Shi%% and called him a stupid ass. Of course, this was new sh%$ to you, and me because we had only been there about three weeks. The one guy that did the shooting, and smoke canister, he later in September, just before Con Thien, did a self-inflecting wound on himself. Most of us were glade to see him go.
Moring

Postby willie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Joe and the rest of you,
Your right about some of the stupid ass things that some guys would do. The war brought out the worst in some, thank goodness there were only a few that we saw. I'm sure every unit had their share. But for the most part we were around some of the very best. My Marine friends are among the most loyal and most honorable people I know. There's just something about men you go to war with. its like no other connection I can think of. There's lots of sacrifices in life, none greater that the what some sacrificed on the battle field.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby Moring » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Good post Willie. I don't think it always has to be in war. I think some people are just A$$ holes where ever they are. And yes, you do make some very trusting friends you will ever meet. Men you can depend on and count on to be there. A very Special Brotherhood.
Moring

Postby Sgt B » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:21 pm

I can't really recall when I visited our site, but I'm glad it's still up and running!
Sgt B

Postby Fasst1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 am

Every time I register a new member I ask if they want access to this board, and nearly 100% don't answer. We're over 2,700 members now (several hundred in the Last Patrol). Guess forums have become a thing of the past for most people.

Danny
Network Administrator

2/9 12/66-6/67; Philly Naval Hospital; 3/2 8/67-4/68; MAG-24/H&MS-24 4/68-6/69

Fasst1

Return to 2/9 General Discussion