Willie "NOW HEAR THIS" NOW HEAR THIS" Fifty years ago today!

Moderator: Fasst1

Willie "NOW HEAR THIS" NOW HEAR THIS" Fifty years ago today!

Postby Moring » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Well Willie it was fifty years ago today that we boarded a bus from Camp Pendleton and headed for San Diego. Boarded ship and left for Nam. What a Ride

PS. They did have pretty good ice cream on the ship :lol:

SF

Joe
Moring

Re: Willie "NOW HEAR THIS" NOW HEAR THIS" Fifty years ago to

Postby willie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:26 pm

I was wondering why I woke up with a headache today. 50 years, wow time flies.
I do remember the snack bar on the ship. It saved me because I couldn't eat the chow they served us.
A few other things I remember. The smell down below, the racks that seemed to go 10 high,
Guys puking the first few days.
Pulling into Danang Harbor late at night. Gunfire in the distance as we looked through the porthole.
Boy we didn't know what we got ourselves into. We found out right away when we were in those 6X's
And the lead jeep ran over a mine.
Welcome to Vietnam.
I'll call you later today.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby Moring » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Willie, I will always remember that Sea-Bat they caught.
It was almost twenty days to cross the Pacific and a year later, it took a little over 10 hours to get back home by jet.
Before I left Nam I had a couple of days to kill around Da Namg. Boy! did I eat, hamburgers,milkshakes, ice cream, etc... at the main PX on the hill. Drink some beers down at the China Sea Club. I did run into several old buddies from my training times in the states. They had been to different units and some told me about others that didn't make it, or wounded and sent home. When the morning came to board our plane out of Nam, there were new guys getting off the plane. They fell into a formation to the side as we passed them. I didn't want to look at their faces, I didn't want to remember, so I just kept looking eyes forward. Got on the plane, and as we lifted off it was "Goooood By Vietnam" to quote the great, late Robin Williams.

Thank God we made it home Willie

SF
Moring

Postby willie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:21 pm

You know I hated being on that ship and couldn't wait to get off.
Didn't take long for me to see that the ship was pretty good. Then we get to phu Bai
And get assigned to Echo company. They had been up at Khe Shan
And were some pissed off Marines. I didn't know what to think. But I got a welcome to Vietnam gift.
a pric 25.

S/F
Willie
willie

Return to 2/9 General Discussion