Spousal benefits

Moderator: Fasst1

Spousal benefits

Postby willie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:19 pm

if a veteran receives compensation for service connected issues what is his wife entitled to when he passes.
I've heard everything from zero dollars to a percentage of his rating. Some say it depends on her income.
Anybody know for sure. I can't find any information on the VA site. At least nothing I can understand.
Post any information because I'm sure a lot of wives would like to know.
S/F
Willie
E 2/9
willie

Re: Spousal benefits

Postby Fasst1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Willie,
It is absolutely dependent on income. Go to our Links button on the home page and click on the Department of Veteran's Affairs link. Once there click on Benefits than Survivor Benefits. My guess is that unless someone is just about destitute there will be no compensation. I had to go through the VA when my Dad died because the state of PA required my mother to prove she was NOT eligible. What a pain in the ass, but I learned a little about how small the chances are of a surviving spouse receiving anything.

Semper Fi,
Danny
Network Administrator

2/9 12/66-6/67; Philly Naval Hospital; 3/2 8/67-4/68; MAG-24/H&MS-24 4/68-6/69

Fasst1

Postby willie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks Danny,
I checked out the link and found the spousal benefit calculator.
Looks like $7094.00 is the cut off point for any benefits. Make that amount or more and a spouse gets nothing.
But like most VA links, they are hard to understand.
Maybe somebody else can do some looking.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby phillipfco » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:15 am

If you are 100% Total and Permanently Disabled at the time or your death, and you have been for at
least 10 years prior to your death, and you have been married to your wife for at least 10 years at
the time of your death, and you were still married at the time of your death. She would receive
Dependency and Indemnity Compensation of $1,555.57 per month as of 12/1/17. But, they just won't
give it to her she will need to get a Service Rep to help her file the right forms. If you are not 100%, or if
you haven't been for at least 10 years, she won't get much.
Phil Franklin
phillipfco

Return to 2/9 General Discussion