Brutal battles of Viet Nam book

Moderator: Fasst1

Brutal battles of Viet Nam book

Postby pat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm

just got word from the national vfw that the Brutal battles of Viet Nam 50th anniversary will be coming out in August 1,2017, also said that they appreciated the help that we gave them for the kingfisher battle on july 29th,1967 which is in the book. so lets go out and buy a copy when it comes out, I believe its $29.99.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Re: Brutal battles of Viet Nam book

Postby willie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi Pat,
It will be an interesting read for sure. Kingfisher opinions can vary based on many variables. What company you were in,
Which platoon, which squad, which fireteam, where you were on the road.i have a clear vision of the morning of the 29th.
Incoming rockets, the word to saddle up, moving back down the road,a vehicle, probably a tank running over a mine,
Chaos from then on. Gunfire and mortars hitting the road area. Some squads getting out of the ambush, some not. Some spending the night on the road. Marines getting hit, Gaffney, the lieutenant and his radioman. Air support and arty.
Late in the day the word spread that we had no help coming and would have to wait it out till morning. As it was getting dark a Marime near me was digging in with an E tool. I told him are you crazy, there going to hear you. The night was quiet
But burned into my brain are the words I heard from close range, you die tonight Marine. At that point the rage in me said
Open fire in the direction it came from. But I didn't. Which surprises me because Being calm under stress isn't my nature.
Nothing happened during the night and 3/4 came in during the morning and helped us out.
That's some of what I saw from my position in Echo company, 3rd platoon, 3 RD fire team.
I know there's a book being written about Kingfisher and I contributed my opinion of the ambush.
And I will buy a copy of the book. To give me a better understanding of what happened to others on that road.
It's always been like a puzzle in my brain that I can't put together.

S/F
Willie
E 2/9
willie

Postby Moring » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:04 pm

Boy Willie! it looks like the well of info is drying up. Calling Dr Ladle.....
Moring

Postby willie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:26 am

Your right Joe, things have changed on the site.
The chaos started 7-28-67. So tomorrow 50 years ago we moved down the road toward the Ben Ha river.
It was supposed to be a show of force. Didn't quite work out that way.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby pat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:28 pm

willie
I have been trying to remember how I got to dong ha after I got med evac and all I remember is amtrack to Con thien with a bunch of wounded marines. I must have been flown there by chopper but have no memory of it. I was with a bunch of marines in worse shape than me but no memory of it.don't think they would have trucked us there. I guess as we get older memories start to fade which also could be a good thing.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby pat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:33 pm

by the way I ordered my Brutal battles of viet nam book from the vfw book store,$ 29.99 plus 8.00 shipping if any of you guys want to order it. I should get it next week.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby willie » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Pat,
I've tried to remember much of what happened on Kingfisher but there's so many blank spaces.
On the 30th I remember Marines piled on a Amtrak heading out of the ambush area. Also, I remember the3/4 Marines that came in to help handing us full canteens of water.
As far as how the wounded were transported to to hospitals I have know idea.I ended up at the
Chu Lai hospital but how I got there I don't recall. It must have been by chopper. I had a head wound early in the day of the
29th and that probably caused my memory loss.
I remember walking out of the ambush area and my next memory was sitting on a bench outside the the hospital waiting
My turn to go in. Plus, what are the odds of seeing a Marine I went to boot camp with in the same hospital?
I ran into my good friend Rick Moreland there.
So how other Marines were transported I have no idea.
S/F
Willie
willie

Return to 2/9 General Discussion