Looking for anyone from Boot Camp San Deigo platoon 258

Moderator: Fasst1

Looking for anyone from Boot Camp San Deigo platoon 258

Postby knightrider1944 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:44 pm

Looking for anyone from Platoon 258 in Boot Camp. Please E-mail me.
knightrider1944

Re: Looking for anyone from Boot Camp San Deigo platoon 258

Postby saltydog » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I was there in Aug. 1966. Don't remember the unit. We were next to the runway.
saltydog

Postby willie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:09 pm

I was ther in August of 1966 too. Platoon 3319, SSGT Dvorak was our Platoon Commander. We lived in those metal quansat huts..Dirt pits just outside the door, the DI's used to make us do PT in them.. The good ole days.
willie
willie

Postby John Foster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Yo, Willie,
I was in 3310, probably the same time you were in 3319. Don't know anyone from 258. 14 months after bootcamp I ran in to my DI at Camp Carroll. A lousy cook. He was a better drill instructor than he was a cook. Never experienced one good meal in any Marine Corps mess hall. Not one! Ine of the reasons i miss the Corps. If I was still in I would be lean and mean.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby willie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:47 pm

John,
One of my DI's, the mean one, got transfered from our platoon for abusing us civilian slime balls. He got busted down to Cpl also. Saw him at Edison range, lots of rage in his eyeballs. Turned out his MOS was a cook too. I always figured him for a bad azz 03. But if I remember right he only wore two ribbons, one was the ole firewatch ribbon. Don't recall what the other one was. But no Nam ribbons..
The best chow I had was at Marine Barracks, Pearl Harbor. Mess hall was open 24 hours. Cold milk machines, all the food you wanted.
You remember your DI cooks name??
willie

Ours were, Dvorak, Shikowski, Root, and a guy we nicknamed gingles, from the Roy Rodgers or the Gene Autry televison show..can't remember his real name..
willie

Postby John Foster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Myron Brookshire. A couple of years ago I remember thinking about him and that he must have been with 2/9, perhaps H&S or HQCo. I asked a PI friend if he could locate him for me. I wanted to invite him to a 2/9 reunion. Sure enough, got his address and phone number. He lived not too far away in Murrieta, Ca. I dialed his number and got his answering machine which had his very distinctive voice. Fucking flashback!!! I froze and hung up. I thought to myself, 'I'm a grown man. I aint afraid of that old man.' I collected myself and rehearsed what message I would leave. I'll be a son-of-a-bitch if I didn't freeze again. Screw it. I wrote him a letter. Never heard from him. About a year later my wife calls me while I'm on the golf course. She asked if I knew a Myron Brookshire. He's at Dennys and wants me to join him for coffee. I had just teed off on a par three and my ball landed about two feet from the cup. A sure birdie. I didn't even finish the hole. I headed back to the parking lot and went to Dennys. We sat and talked for over two hours. I never remember him being so tall. Big ass ears and glasses that looked like the bottom of coke bottles. He retired a warrant officer. The reason he didn't get back to me sooner is because he lost my letter while he was moving to Prescott, Az. Brookshire is a spokesman for the wild mustang program throughout the southwest for the Bureau of Land Management. Turned out to be a pretty nice guy. But a real mean bastard as a DI.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby tomfen » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Paris Island SC, platoon 380? Gradusted in August 67. The DI was Staff Sargent Hicks, a fair but firm Marine (the other two were sadistic sob's). I met Sargent Hicks in VN while on a patrol moving through a tin roofed encampment for the Vietnamese. He was a Platoon Sargent with a rifle company. We spoke, he remembered, called me 'duck', a name he gave me because I marched (and waked) like a duck. Still do, but I only notice when it snows. Tom F, Fox, 67-68.
tomfen

Postby willie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:43 pm

John,
I had a similar experience with a phone call. A few years ago I got the phone number of a guy from my fireteam. Hadn't talked with him since 1967. I mustered up the courage to call and I got his voice mail. When I heard his voice I got an anxiety attack. My mind went blank and I didn't know what to say. He sounded exactly the same as I remembered. He was a big irish guy that had been in country for a long time. Real salty. I was always a little afraid of him. Anyway, I left my number but he never called me back..
Glad you met up with your old DI.. They had a tough job, making Marines out of civilian slime, our DI's favorite description of us..I'm sure they old DI's would be proud of how some of us turned out.
Can't believe you gave up that birdie putt, but the old DI still had your ear.. Sir, yes sir....
Myron was the mean one.. Seems like most platoons had a mean one and a nice one. They were all strict and demanding but Shikowski was just plain mean. I remember him telling our platoon one day, if you pukes don't like it we can go behind the hut and settle it..His face was always beat red, with a nice scowl. When we would march on the parade deck he used to say, thunder ladies, thunder..Probably why I got shin splints.
You know one of my bud's,Leo, kept a diary of what went on in boot camp. Names and details of what we did. Kept it in a little pocket size spiral notebook. He mailed it to me a few years ago and I went to Kinkos and made a copy of it..
Pretty funny reading it today.
Leo, 3/3, told me they are having their reunion in DC, 2010..Might be a nice crowd in town for that one..
Your going this year?
willie
willie

Postby John Foster » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:10 pm

I'll be there. Flying to Arkansas and hooking up with an old bud I worked at the brig with. He was with 1/7. We are driving to Camp Lejeune to attend 2/9s Birthday Ball which takes place on Thursday the 5th. From there we will drive north to Quantico and try to crash another birthday ball. I'll check into the Virginia Suites on Sunday for our reunion. I may have to cut out early but wont know until then.
Good luck with your IU. Hope to see you in D.C. Aint this the shits! Gotta travel all the way across the country to see a brother that lives within a short drive.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby Ray Henderson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:05 am

Hey John great meeting you in DC at this year reunion. Hope to see you in 2013 at the reunion.
Raymond Henderson
Fox 2/9 2nd Platoon Guns
1967-68
Ray Henderson

Postby phillipfco » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 am

Ray, do we have your email and other contact information for the Fox Company reunion?
If not please send it to me, if you will. My email address is: usmc1967@comcast.net.
We would love to have you join us.I was thinking that you were planning on coming to
this last one, but at the last minute something came up. But maybe I am wrong.
Phil Franklin
phillipfco

Return to 2/9 Looking for Old Friends