Echos Hill 37 February 2, 5, thru 25th 1968

Moderator: Fasst1

Re: Echos Hill 37 February 2, 5, thru 25th 1968

Postby mr billwilly » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 am

AK48 wrote:Hey Willy, I've tried 2 weeks to post a reply to you in the discussion with no luck..Yes I am a logged in member. You mentioned pictures. Any pictures you have would be most welcome be they Hill37 or any other part of your tour. Maybe you could post them in the 2/9 picture gallery? SF, Allyn.

You might want to e-mail me and get me squared away. My e-mail address is in the first post of this topic above. I do not have your e-mail address and my e-mails end up in the junk. At this point in time I have not been able to access the gallery using an ordinary human process. I surely do not know how to post to the gallery as of yet and would need to get clearance as half my photo stash is borrowed. I seem to have worn out anyone who has responded but it has been very interesting.

willy June 2010
Forward observer assigned to Echo Company 2/9 September 1 1967 thru February 1968.
mr billwilly

Postby Babysohn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:00 am

Mr. Billywilly, I've been reading some of the post regarding hill 37 and its relation to Cam Lo. I was the squad leader for 1st squad, third platoon who was riding security for a convy going from Dong Ha back to Camp Carroll. Just past the village at Cam Lo, the convoy got ambushed and the truck I was on used a small hill just to the west of the village for cover. The convoy commander told me to take my squad up the hill to try to spot NVA firing positions. When we went up there we noticed several bunkers but at that time it was unoccupied. Afterwards we found out that the convoy commander had ordered the truck to leave without us, so we humped down the road to Cam Lo and stayed there overnight. The camp got hit that night and I got shot in the chest about halfway through the fight. I stayed in it and got medevac'd the next moring. But I am wondering exactly where hill 37 was. Was it closer to Camp Carroll or what?
You can search for the battle for Cam Lo and find the story written by a guy named James Coan. He also wrote a book about Con Thien and Leatherneck Square. It's a great read! One thing I didn't know was that there was a unit citation with "V" awarded to the units who fought at Cam Lo and it lists the first squad third platoon Echo Company 2/9. LCPL Maxam also earned his MOH there, and there were two Navy Crosses, a silver star and a bronze star.
Babysohn

Postby mr billwilly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Baby Sohn:

Hill 37 is just up the route 9 from Cam Lo. It is the first hill on the North side of the road where the plain ends and the Mountains begin.

The first satelite picture shows hill thirty seven today. The Route 9 the road goes between two hills where the plain meets the mountains.

You can see Dong Ha Mountain in the satelite photo. And the rock pile and Razor back ridge. Camp Carroll is on the south side of the road South of Dong Ha Mountain. Hard to see Carroll on this map.

Cam Lo today is the blue tear drop on the map. The road to Con Thien and the bridge across the river have been moved to the east and is known as route 15 today. In our time the river bridge and the road north to Con Thien were a bit west of this road in the Satelite photo. Camp Carroll is in the center of the photo to the south of Route 9. I might do another post and another photo of maybe a map or two. mr bill
Attachments
hill 37 size.jpg
hill 37 size.jpg (31.61 KiB) Viewed 7404 times
hill 37 Cam Lo.jpg
hill 37 Cam Lo.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 7404 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:59 pm

maps showing the original location of the road north to Con Thien from Cam Lo and the Cap Compound location.

And a photo along Route 9 showing the Cam Lo area (the purple village to the right on map)

Hill 37 was the first little hill on the north side of the road where the plain meets the mountains.

Move the first photo around and you will see the Cam Lo bridge and the CAP Coumpound.

It is my theory that after the attack at these locations part of the NVA unit moved up the road to hill 37 with their wounded. They did not have to cross the river.
Attachments
cam lo cac.jpg
cam lo cac.jpg (131.37 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
hill thirty-seven map.jpg
hill thirty-seven map.jpg (86.92 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:08 pm

And here we have a map that shows where everything was located and another that shows where the plain meets the mountains.

Hill 37 was west of Cam Lo along Route 9 where the plains meets the mountains.

The satelite photo shows that Hill 37 is still there today after all of these years.
Attachments
river supply map.jpg
river supply map.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
Northern Vietnam.jpg
Northern Vietnam.jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
mr billwilly

Postby Babysohn » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 am

Gunny Ed, I remember when you joined the company. I was the squad leader for 1st squad, 3rd platoon and my nickname was "Babysohn". Got it from a bar girl in Singapore. Another story! Anyway, I believe you were at MCRD San Diego with platoon 2233 at one point as a drill instructor with a brute of a guy name O'Donnell. Never can forget him. I remember when you got to the company. We were at Camp Carroll. So if you are the guy from platoon 2233 I'd love to see you post here in the near future.
Babysohn

Postby Ed Collins » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 pm

MrBillWilly -

Sorry to take so long on this but I just read your message from 2010, and I can tell you that I was in 2nd Platoon the day we took Hill 37. I too, saw VNA on top of the hill and alerted Mr. Boyd who passed the information on to Capt. Samms. We got the same BS about them being friendlies...if they were friendly I sure don't want to meet any real hostiles. I have alot of stories about that day and I can share them with you at your convenience.

Semper Fi,

Ed Collins
Semper Fi - Ed Collins
Ed Collins

Previous

Return to 2/9 Looking for Old Friends