Squad member found

Moderator: Fasst1

Squad member found

Postby tomfen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:47 pm

The title sounds good, but the truth of the matter is that after many years of trying to find Bob Grigsby, a machine gunner in my squad, I was informed just today that he died in 1974. At least I know why I was unable to find him.
Grigsby was a quiet, unassuming Marine from Flint Michigan. He never complained, always answered the bell, and could fire that M-60 with tremendous accuracy. A fine a Marine indeed. I searched off and on for years trying to find him and asked anyone I came in contact with if they'd heard from him.
My last correspondence was a letter (69?) upon his return to the world. He next duty station was somewhere in Nevada for 'cold weather training'--the irony!

Phil Franklin sent this to me today..................
" As some of you know I have been trying to find Bob Grigsby for John Colaneri...Anyway, I sent a letter to the VA Regional Office here for them to forward to his last address on record. I got a call from someone from the Regional office and he said that when he went to put in Grigsby's service number..it came back deseased.
The guy was very emotional when he told me, and he said that he would send me a copy of the report. Which I guess they are not supposed to do. I am attaching a copy of the form. It shows a date of death of 06/22/1974. He didn't know how he died. I am sorry to be the one to pass this along. S/F Phil"

Bob Grigsby was probably 26 in 1974. The years do not diminish the loss. May he rest in peace.

Tom F Fox 67-68
tomfen

Return to 2/9 Looking for Old Friends