Gary Moffett

Moderator: Fasst1

Gary Moffett

Postby willie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:57 pm

An old boot camp buddy just found me after all these years. He mentioned a Marine by the name of Gary Moffett that is also a E 2/9er.
Gary and I were in platoon 3319 at MCRD. But I don't think I ran into him in Nam.
Anybody remember Gary?
Wayne \"Willie\" Willison
willie

Boot Camp!

Postby gunsup » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:33 pm

Willie, Where did you go thru boot camp? I was in Plt 340 in Feb 66 outta PI!
Semper Fi!.........Jack
gunsup

Postby willie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:01 pm

Jack,
I was in platoon 3319, August 1966 out of MCRD. Since then I've talked to two bud's from boot camp. One just found me a few days ago. He's going to send me the addresses of some of the other Marines from our platoon. I can't really remember a lot of them because I lost my Red Book. But I do have the picture of our platoon and I remember most of the faces.
You might find this hard to believe but you know what our platoon house mouse's name was? House, no shit, that was his last name.
S/F
Willie
willie

MCRD????

Postby gunsup » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Willie, I know you were at MCRD, we all were! Were you at PI or Hollywood...oops.... SD? LMFAO!!!
gunsup

Postby willie » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Jack,
Sorry, I meant to include Hollywood, MCRD. San Diego version. I always get a little heat from the PI brothers on this.
We had a DI by the name of Shikowski, he used to get a little physical with people sometimes. We had a recruit in our platoon that had a relative that was a Senator in DC. It got back to him how Shikowski was pounding on some of us. Next thing I know Shikowski was moved to another platoon. I saw him at Edson range and if looks could kill.
I looked at my boot camp group picture and most of the DI's only had two ribbons. Firewatch and one other. Bet Shikowskis 2nd ribbon was a good conduct one.
Willie
willie

Gary Moffett

Postby Grunt F/2/9 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:28 am

Hi Willie

I served with a person by the name of Moffett but we were in Fox Company and the time was 1967. Don't remember Moffett's first name.
Grunt F/2/9

Postby John Foster » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:47 pm

Hey Willie,
I was in plt 3310, August 66 at San Diego. I was told at the induction center that I was a Hollywood Marine but I didn't feel that way after I fell onto the yellow footprints. I got my sunglasses slapped off my face.. When Echo Co came out of the bush back to Camp Carroll we were served a hot meal. The cooks and mess men were wearing white. When I approached the line to get my hot turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, I couldn't believe my eyes. My DI was serving chow. SSgt Myron Brookshire had the cook MOS, A couple of years back, I thought about that meeting and came to the conclusion that he had to have been a 2/9er. He was with H&S Co. My brother-n-law is a PI. He located Brookshire for me. I actually got his phone number. So I called him to invite him to our reunion. He has a very distinctive voice and when I got his answereing machine, I freaked out and hung up. (flashbacks) I wrote him a letter instead and got no response. Well, about 3 weeks ago, he called me. He was passing through Palm Springs and stopped at Dennys for coffee. We had a great visit for over 2 hours. He retired as a WO3 in 1989. He works for Bureau of Land Mgmnt as a spoksman for the wild mustang program in Az.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby doc » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:58 pm

John:
I'm waiting with baited breath...did you eat the damn meal your 'ole DI was serving? :lol:

When I went thru FMF school at Pendleton (the Docs version of USMC boot camp) one of our asst. DIs looked like the gomer with the shotgun from the movie DELIVERANCE...had about the same number of teeth, too. He was a real prick and thankfully I can't remember his name. The senior DI was GySgt. Alan Kellogg, a real good guy. While we were there at FMF School he flew to DC and Tricky Dick Nixon presented him with the MOH for actions on GoNoi Island ('70).

Doc Collison
doc

Postby John Foster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:48 pm

Considering what I had been eating in the bush (pun intended) , I probably scarfed up everything I could get my hands on.
I had this conversation wiith Gunsup awhile back about eating everything
we could get our hands on after we got back to the states. In late 68 I got stationed at Marine Barracks Hunters Point in San Francisco. The cooks were too damn lazy to get up and cook morning chow. When we went into their room to wake their asses up they threw us the key to the kitchen and we helped ourselves. I was a better cook than they were anyway. Its amazing I didn't gain a lot of weight. I still have an issue with food today.
We don't do leftovers in my house. Its good to know that our warriors are eating well in Iraq.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby doc » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:37 am

John:
Speaking of Iraq... FYI the 9th MARINES RISE AGAIN!!!

Alpha 1/9 deployed last week from LeJeune to Iraq. They were bussed up to Cherry Point then on to Ireland and ultimately the \"new asshole of the world\" Iraq.

A group of 'ole 1/9 ers went up to send 'em off. Here's a copy of a posting on the sendoff from the 1/9 website.... Doc Collison

What a fantastic group of fine Marines we got to experience on Tuesday while we waited with them to get on busses for Cherry Point, then the flight out..via the Europian route stopping in Ireland and/or Germany before going into Iraq.

From Col. Vickers right on down the chain the Sgt/ Maj, Company Commander Capt Lonson..(I think it was pronounced) the 1st Sarg..squad leaders to the E2's & E-3's..each one was all Marine and ready to go.
When we arrived, they were all scattered around for the most part...some sort of semi formation..like the smoking circle was lit. Parents, sweethearts, friends all mingled talking pretty much all at ease. It was great as we went through the crowd, they would stop us and ask if we were the \"Real\" 1/9 Walking Dead Marines From Nam..so sure, we said yes and starting just talking to each as they ask so many questions after trying to get over the fact that the lengendary 1/9 Walking Dead was there to see them off. Man..it was like you could cut the air like cake it was so full of respect splashing all over that field from everyone.
As the busses finlly started rolling out for CHerry Point, we all stood out front and hand saluted each bus as it passed out of the lots there. Those young Marines were ecstactic that we did that and were waving their arms..thumbs up all around...it was really kool to see and be a part of.
The final bus had not arrive before we left. So, instead of saluting their bus in review..lol, we went directly across the street where they were staged. Bill Hesse, called us to attention and spoke to them saying, \"We from the old 1/9 salute you men of the new 1/9... Then we heard someone in the back order them to their feet and again the crowd went wild..as each stood at attention facing us and saluting back... Again, they showed us just as must respect as we did them...probably more. It was indeed an honor being with them.
They all huddled around us and wanted pictures taken of us so we all got some great pics of the trip. I'll need to get mine taken in for development. Dave Zeller got several as did Bill Hesse and Bob Grubbs. We'll be posting them as soon as they are assembled..
doc

Postby John Foster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Any word on 2/9 or 3/9's reactivation?
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby doc » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:24 pm

John:

Scuttlebutt is 2/9 is supposed to be sometime late this summer followed by 3/9, if necessary, early '07. As you know, there never was a reactivation ceremony for 1/9...cancelled at the last minute. Also, 1/9 was originally to deploy to Afghanistan. Got an e-mail this evening and Alpha 1/9 is now in Iraq. Hell, the way things are going 1/9 & 2/9 will probably end up in friggin' IRAN. I say, send in the cruise missles, unmanned drones, do a little ARCLIGHT with the B-52s, turn it into a parking lot. No more of this occupation bullshit! :evil:

Doc
doc

Return to 2/9 Looking for Old Friends