gio linh

Moderator: Fasst1

gio linh

Postby phillydog » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:20 am

hey brothers,need alittle help.i ,after 43 years,put a claim into the va.it is a work in progress.they are lookink for verification of events and i am stuck on one.i was with 106s and at some point was attached to a line company at gio linh and i cant put a time line or a line company into my memory.im thinking june or july of 67.we did our 30 days and were replaced by (?) the one thing i remember,besides the everyday norm. was a m-79er i think called sgt. rock was promoted on the spot by a visiting high ranking officer.he wore criss cross bandoliers of m-79 ammo.this man also became an artist after the corp. can anyone give me any information on this,they dont list this tad in my record of service.i thank you in advance.

Tom,philly dog, lorimer tomclover1@aol.com
c'mon mad dog i know your out there
phillydog

Re: gio linh

Postby tomfen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Tom,
With a 'handle' like, Philydog, one would assume that you are/were a Philly guy.
That said, I live just outside Philly and happen to know a few survivors of Gio linh.
Maybe we should talk.
I could be wrong, but I I think I used to 'swoop' to Camp Lejeune with you a few years years ago (69?).
Were you ever in law enforcement?

Tom F, Fox, 67-68
tomfen

Re: gio linh

Postby phillipfco » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:44 pm

The M79 man that you are talking about is "Herc" Salerno. He was Mister Chicago, or Mr. Illinois or something like that after he left the Corps.
He was a really good artist.
Phil Franklin
phillipfco

Return to 2/9 Headquarters Company