H&S, 81 Mortars 1969

Moderator: Fasst1

H&S, 81 Mortars 1969

Postby hhdivel » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:47 am

Still looking for a few marines that served along with me in 81 mortars. Also a question on the P.U.C issued in 1969 for 2/9 marines. I recently became involved with the VFW and wear the dress uniform with ribbons. Am I allowed to wear the PUC if not on my DD214?
Attachments
squad.jpg
squad.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 14707 times
hhdivel

Postby Gordon P. Stewart » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:18 am

What section is this photo? I'm STU the FO with Hotel co.1969.My section was the 4th. With sgt.Close and Bill Leonard
Gordon P. Stewart

? Section

Postby hhdivel » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:32 pm

Not sure what section I was in. Was with Sgt. Lucky, Cpl Wright, don't remember the rest of the NCO's. Lt. Wooly was the platoon comander. I believe we were attached to Golf Co. Maybe someone will recognize the picture and inform us both.

Howard
81's 1969
hhdivel

Postby powla » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:40 am

Bill Leonard was with 4th Section in 1968, until medivaced with malaria in November; out near Laos. I rotated in Dec-68, but have been told Leonard came back for another tour. Also, I was told Cpl. Close was swapped over to lead 4th Section after Sgt Jacobs and Hagemeister rotated. The section spent most of the first half of 68' with Golf, but also spent short stints with Echo, Foxtrot and Hotel. We spent allot of time with both Hotel and Golf in the mountains, late summer and up until December. Later on, the battalion appeared to have made an effort to align the sections with a parent company, rather than plug them in just anywhere. Burchstead was Golf's FO and Gilchrist his RTO. Charlie Gruttadauria trained under Burchstead, but doesn't remember which company he was FO for; he rotated in Dec-68. The section was with Hotel, Oct 21-24, 1968, attached to 1st Tracts on that operation up the coast to the Z. Stu, I believe you were with us on that OP. We spent so much time split up from the other sections, I never met half the guys in the platoon, who arrived after the battalion sized OPs in the summer.

SF
Warren Atkinson 2/9 RVN Dec67-Dec68
powla

Re:

Postby Curt Baillie » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:19 pm

powla wrote:
Bill Leonard was with 4th Section in 1968, until medivaced with malaria in November; out near Laos. I rotated in Dec-68, but have been told Leonard came back for another tour. Also, I was told Cpl. Close was swapped over to lead 4th Section after Sgt Jacobs and Hagemeister rotated. The section spent most of the first half of 68' with Golf, but also spent short stints with Echo, Foxtrot and Hotel. We spent allot of time with both Hotel and Golf in the mountains, late summer and up until December. Later on, the battalion appeared to have made an effort to align the sections with a parent company, rather than plug them in just anywhere. Burchstead was Golf's FO and Gilchrist his RTO. Charlie Gruttadauria trained under Burchstead, but doesn't remember which company he was FO for; he rotated in Dec-68. The section was with Hotel, Oct 21-24, 1968, attached to 1st Tracts on that operation up the coast to the Z. Stu, I believe you were with us on that OP. We spent so much time split up from the other sections, I never met half the guys in the platoon, who arrived after the battalion sized OPs in the summer.

SF
I remember in the summer of 68 the 81's were with Golf. One day I was in a hole with food posioning and the 81's were on a firing mission. There was a short round and Sgt. MacPherson and Sgt. Banfield were both wounded. I would of been sitting with them.
Curt Baillie

Postby powla » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:11 am

The only short round incident I remember was on Hill 28, located north of A-3, and this occurred mid Dec 67'. The short round struck a bunker up near the LZ, killing two and wounding 8 more. One of the wounded was our 81's FO and one of the KIAs his RTO, they'd been visiting at our gun pits and had only moments before the short round occurred walked back to their position when the fire mission came in.

I do recall having a misfire at Camp Carroll, but don't recall any other short rounds. It's certainly possible one of the other gun sections may have had a short round, but 4th Section did not and we were with Golf most of the time during the first half of 68'. On the summer (68') OPs more often than not we had more than one gun section with what ever companies were on the OP. Sometimes an entire gun section would just hump ammo for other sections.

When the short round occurred on Hill 28, 1st Section was the gun section attached to Golf. I was in 1st Section at the time the incident occurred, but the platoon was mix-mastered when the battalion returned to Camp Carroll, Christmas Eve 67', and I went to 4th Section, and spent the rest of my tour there.

SF
Warren Atkinson 2/9 RVN Dec67-Dec68
powla

Re: H&S, 81 Mortars 1969

Postby divelbiss » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Finally got in touch with 2 of my mortar platoon. Really was a thrill talking to them after 40 years.
divelbiss

Re: H&S, 81 Mortars 1969

Postby BobAverill » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Anyone remember in April when 'H" Co and not sure who else, went to LZ Stud. After being there a few days, my Plt(1st) was lifted up to a hill NW of Stud where we could block as well as see into rocket valley. Had a sec of 81's attached to me, but I'll be darned if I can remember anyone.That was the same period that the NVA blew the ammo dump at Stud and provided quite a vista for us. We provided a lot of illum at night to the folks down on 9 as well as Stud. We also had an Army radio intercept team up there with their CONEX locker box home. They attracted 106 fire from down on 9 just west of Stud when they opened their door one night. A HEAT round coming at you is rather unique in sound. Glad they missed me!

That section of 81s was highly motivated to provide the best support possible. Was a pleasure having them!
BobAverill

Return to 2/9 Headquarters Company