Delta 5

Moderator: Fasst1

Delta 5

Postby John Foster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:10 pm

In January of '68 when 2nd plt was at Delta 5, there was an accidental discharge of a .45. While checking the slide safety, a Marine squeezed off a round that went through the palm of his hand and entered the upper leg of another Marine standing in front of him. The slug hit the 2nd Marine's femor and traveled down his leg and almost exited the calf. That happened to be my .45. I was with weapons at the time. Do any of you guys remember the incident? And if so, do you know who those 2 Marines are? Doc Fink patched them up and called in a med-evac.
Its been 6 months since this post has been used so I thought I would generate some activity.
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby AK48 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:09 am

Hey John, I think you and I have talked about D-5 before. I remember thincident, heard the shot. Don't know who was involved. The rumor I remember was 2 guys were playing \"quick-draw\" And somebody was going toget courtmartialed for damaging gov't property (himself). D-5 was unusual in my tour. Fairly quiet and a stretch of good weather but some some oddball stuff happened there. ARVNs manned 1 wall of the fort and there was a functioning Vill nearby (Mai Loc). SF, Allyn.

(
AK48

Postby John Foster » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Hey Allyn,
Yeah, we did discuss this once. I'm still trying to find out who the 2 Marines were. No rumor. Fact: A small unit was going out on a night op. I don't remember if it was to set up an ambush or patrol or what. I let one of them borrow my .45 for the night op. He cleared the chamber and took out the clip and began razzing me for not cleaning my .45. He the began checking the safeties and at the same time still ragging on me. The thumb safety worked, the half-cocked safety worked, and the grip safety worked. He then put the clip back in and started to put a round in the chamber. He stopped himself halfway through sliding a round in the chamber and said, \"Oh, I forgot to check the slide safety.\" He pushed the slide into the palm of his hand. I tried to warn him that he may have already put a round in the chamber. Even though he stopped himself halfway of sliding a round into the chamber, he actually did. My warning wasn't quick enough.
I do remember the rumor of him being court martialed for destroying gov't property but I'm sure that wasn't true. He was a good Marine and a good squad leader with no prior problems with JAG. He probably just got a slap on the hand with a minor offense noted in his SRB. It may have cost him a promotion. Doc Fink seemed to think he would be back in the field within a month. He said there was no serious damage to his hand. Apparantly the bullet missed the bones in his hand.....if you can believe that. The other guy with the leg wound probably got shipped home. He just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Or was he?
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby AK48 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:25 am

Hey John, Like I said, some oddball stuff happened at D-5. Such as, the ARVNs with us (may have) threw a frag into our snipers' bunker and (may have) used flashlights to signal VC outside our perimeter. We couldn't watch what they were up to all the time. Going to Punta Gorda, FL tomorrow, talk to you next week. SF, Allyn.
AK48

Re: Delta 5

Postby Babysohn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:05 pm

I was in the first squad, third platoon and I remember that incident. I was standing outside of the wire when it happened. I also remember the fragging incident with the sniper team and us and the the RVNS squared off, us on our side of the perimeter and they on theirs, but we were on the outside of our holes! Shortly after that we left there and went back up to Camp Carroll. Shortly after that my squad was riding convoy security down to Dong Ha and back. We got ambushed on he way back, just past Cam Lo. Long story short, my squad got stuck in Cam Lo that night and the camp got hit. That's where LCPL Maxam got the MOH.

I got out of the Corps and spent almost ten years out then I went back on active duty in the Army in Special Forces. I did 24 years in SF and retired as a SGM. I did a little research and found out that the compound D-5 was called Mai Loc after the nearby village. After the Marines left it the Army Special Forces decided it was a good place. I always thought that was funny, since all of the other places in northern I corps, Con Thien, Khe Sahn that were SF camps to start with but they decided they weren't too good and left them. So the Marines took them over.
Babysohn

Postby mr billwilly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 am

I did the whole D-5 deal. From December 26 1967 until February first few days of February 1968. I was in the bunker that was full of rats right beside the gate. I was attached to E company and had fat city radio watch in the main bunker during Jan. We ran the Arvn off standing guard with the twin forty until they were out of there after the sniper fragging.

Lot of weird stuff on radio watch. Calling in asking for permission to fire? Claiming claymores had been turned around. I got ahold of gook whiskey for New Years eve and it was interesting patrol the next day.

We got mortared once 3-6 mortars at night on patrol the day before we moved into D-5 and the last day we were there we went on patrol on the ridge to the east and ran into a whole herd of NVA on the move. Actually saw them in the daylight but they moved of like a herd of MT elk and that was the end of that.

From D-5 it was a walk back up to Carroll and on Feb 5th we walked from Carroll down to route 9 and down to Echo Hill 37 which is in another post for another day in February.

Attached is the map the NVA drew up in December 67 which was there plan for attacks starting at the end of Jan 68 and into Feb 68.
Attachments
nvamapsm 1.jpg
nvamapsm 1.jpg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 17759 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 am

Here is a photo of the village near camp Carroll and D-5 . We walked there on election day from Camp Carol and another time on our way to D-5. This 2nd photo is taken at the entrance to D-5 after our time as it appears the bunker was improved. I take no responsibility for it but while we were at D-5 in January 1968 on of our squads determined that our lines were being probed and quickly we assaulted the shitter laying down a base of fire at 3:00 AM one morning. I think it was a false alarm. The shitter was the only resulting casualty as I recall.
Attachments
new D-5 gate.jpg
new D-5 gate.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 17755 times
election day village.jpg
election day village.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 17755 times
mr billwilly

Postby AK48 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Hey Mr Bill, Great pictures you have of D-5. Please post anymore you have of D-5 and Hill 37, FEB 1968. Those are rare. Thanks, Allyn. 2nd Platoon Echo, DEC 67-DEC 68.
AK48

Postby mr billwilly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:43 pm

AK48 wrote:Hey Mr Bill, Great pictures you have of D-5. Please post anymore you have of D-5 and Hill 37, FEB 1968. Those are rare. Thanks, Allyn. 2nd Platoon Echo, DEC 67-DEC 68.

ok ak here is an air photo of the old french fort D-5 taken from the air who knows when That is on weird looking triangle from this distance but I think that is the place Arvn got overrun there on night a few years after we were there but the army cam and took it back. they tore it all up an built a helicpoter base there and the fort looked similar at that time but I can not find the picture right now.
Attachments
old french for d-5.jpg
old french for d-5.jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:54 pm

AK48 wrote:Hey Mr Bill, Great pictures you have of D-5. Please post anymore you have of D-5 and Hill 37, FEB 1968. Those are rare. Thanks, Allyn. 2nd Platoon Echo, DEC 67-DEC 68.

AK OK all the way if you like photos here was the view from Carroll out over hill thirty seven but I do not see the little devil but is down over the hill out of sight somewhere

Route 9 is down in the bottom and I found out up later if you travel up to that ridge across the way out of the picture left it is called Dong HA mountain. Never knew that while I was looking at it from the towers everyday in OCt and early Nov 67. Tower duty was great. 50,000 NVA over there somewhere and I never saw a one. I did see two recon fellas over there one day. Would not let me shoot at them. (call a fire mission) friendlies
If you look out there as far as you can see to the right in the photo that might be Con Thien
Attachments
hill 37 too 023.JPG
hill 37 too 023.JPG (30.29 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm

AK as you know if you want to get to Hill 37 from Camp Carroll in early February 1968 you have to travel from Carroll straight north down the funny access road which I do not know down to Route 9 and wonder by Mikes Hill which got its name a few days before. And travel on down along Route 9 until you get mortared and keep on going until mr bill sees that NVA appearing on top of the Hill and says that do not look like friendlies to me. (We were under the impression early that the hill was occupied by ARVN.)
No just a bunch of kid NVA that may have been from the attack down the road at the CAP or Cac or whatever compound.
Attachments
Mike before it was mike..jpg
Mike before it was mike..jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Ak here is the next photo of Route 9 between Carroll and Hill 37. I mr bill took these photos from the back of a truck in route to Carroll. I thought at the time this is not where you want to travel unless you are in need of being ambushed. Check out the story of Mikes hill on the internet that occured in an area right here somewhere. No place was secure.

That ridge to the left leads to Dong Ha mountain and if you keep on going the way the truck is going past the road to Camp Carroll you end up at the rockpile and horseback ridge I am told and have seen them on the map.
Attachments
suspicous place to travel.jpg
suspicous place to travel.jpg (25.2 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Ok here is a pretty picture of what it looked like around D-5, Mai Loc and south east of Camp Carroll. sorry but I stole the photo as it is pleasant looking place to be.
Attachments
se of Carroll.jpg
se of Carroll.jpg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:37 pm

and here is a photo of the road from D-5 to the village

I guess the village was called Mai Loc after our time there were relocation villages built I believe.

Nice place to visit but I would not want to live there.

I visited with a little fella from the village one day who had ring from a cracker jacks box. I tried to trade him my wedding ring for his ring.

Number 10 !! Number 10 !!

The closests I ever came to getting hurt real bad in the Nam was when I purchased rice whiskey out near the gate on New years eve Dec 31 1967. Pretty dangerous stuff when you are imbibbing with the rats underground at D-5 New years eve. Interesting patrol the next day.
Attachments
village east of carroll.jpg
village east of carroll.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mr billwilly

Postby mr billwilly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:43 pm

One of these photos is a possible of Mikes hill. No people alive around it in our time.

And the other is a photos of the Mountains from D-5 near Mai Loc
Attachments
s hill 67 68.jpg
s hill 67 68.jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mtns mai loc.jpg
mtns mai loc.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 17716 times
mr billwilly

Next

Return to 2/9 Echo Company