This week annivarsary of trip to Ben Hai

Moderator: Fasst1

This week annivarsary of trip to Ben Hai

Postby Doc Schmidt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:30 pm

I guess at 68 years I still have some PSTD, as this week in July I still think of those three days 7/28-7/30, 1967. In two days we would have moved just below Con Thien , and then next day started towards our little trip through Hell on earth for two days. I always hope that anything I did helped some of those guys. Doc
Doc Schmidt

Re: This week annivarsary of trip to Ben Hai

Postby Babysohn » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Doc, I was one of those unfortunate few from Echo that had to stay in the DMZ overnight. I'm sure that you and all of the corpsmen that worked on Marines during that time did more than just a little good. I remember when my friend Mike Gaffney was shot in the head by a sniper and fell onto the road. The doc was working on him when a grenade landed on the road a few meters away from the small huddle of us around Mike. All of us scrambled into the ditch except the corpsman, who covered Mike with his body until the grenade went off. Then he went back to treating him as though nothing happened. Sadly, Mike died a little while later; the wound was too bad. Even during that long night out there, when a corpsman crawled around the perimeter to see if everyone was OK, it brought some measure of comfort to me. So Doc Schmidt, you and all of the Docs will forever have my highest regards!
Semper Fi
Dan Mayer
1st Squad, 3rd Platoon, Echo
Babysohn

Return to 2/9 Echo Company