getting va comp.

Moderator: Fasst1

getting va comp.

Postby marinevet69 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:51 am

What can I do if my va rep. is setting on her thums :evil: How long should it take to get some kind of answer from the va. Ive been waiting now for 2 and a 1/2 years now. semper fi
marinevet69

Postby John Foster » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:35 pm

The VA is under a lot of scrutiny today because of the way they handled PTSD cases in the past. (awarding a rating when it shouldn't have been awarded and vise versa) Also a lot of congestion with the new claims coming in from Iraq. If you are using VFW or DAV or one of those organizations, you may want to bypass them and go straight to the state rep. Unfortunately, every state is different. Hell, every district is different. In Southern California, Los Angeles is extremely tough on claims. In San Diego, claims are processed on a timely matter. In San Diego, you will get a letter from them as soon as they receive your claim. And every 3 months they will send you a courtesy letter advising you that they are still working on your claim and they apologize for the delay. At least they communicate. LA doesn't. Don't hesitate to call your rep. If not satisfied, call another and another and another. Look at the bright side, when you do get your award, you will have one helluva retro check.
John Foster on point
John Foster

va rep

Postby marinevet69 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:07 pm

thanks John for the reply on getting my comp from the va, after getting so many letters and no answer as to what I my or my not get, it shore did help to here from someone about this. I am going though my va rep in my state. She said so menny time she was going to wdc to pull my records and find out what the hell is going on thats ben 4 times now in 2 years, and nothing yet. but thanks anyway marinevet69 (semper fi)
marinevet69

Postby Bill0331 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:18 pm

I don't usually recommend contacting a politician but in your case it might be appropriate. Contact your congressman/woman PC.

Bill
Echo 2/9 Jan 1966 to February 1967 0331
Presidential Honor Guard DC 67-69
Bill0331

congressman

Postby marinevet69 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:42 am

Hi Bill thanks ! bUT I don't trust my congressman/lady But thanks any way for the info.( marinevet69)
marinevet69

Postby willie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:43 am

John, on point
I see where your base is in Palm Springs, California. I read your note about how LA is not the best state when it comes to dealing with the VA.
Do you know anything about the VA in Westwood? A reservist lifer bud of mine said it's one of the better ones in LA.
I've heard that Long Beah used to have a bad reputation but it's cleaned up its act.
The reason I'm asking is because I live in LA.
Willie
willie

Postby John Foster » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:31 am

Hi Willie,
As far as filing claims, LA takes the longest, communication is poor and the majority of claims are denied. It usually takes one or two appeals to get results. A friend of mine took a bullet through the upper leg while in Vietnam. He is now in his late 50's and the othritus (spelling?) around the scar tissue and chipped femor is so bad that he requires a walker. He only has a 10% rating. He is on his second appeal. As far as the VA hospitals go, they are pretty good. The facilities are clean, well organized and they actually treat the veterans pretty well. 15 years ago, it would be like a scene from \"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest\" when you entered a VA facility.
Where are you located Willie?
John Foster on point
John Foster

Postby dserrano » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:32 pm

I'm in California, Northern Cal, my claims took about about nine months to assess before receiving compensation. Some possible contributing factors for me could have been 1. I used the County Veterans Service Reps over other organizations. 2. Went to all my appointments. This took the longest amount of time. After that, my claim was submitted and in a three to four weeks the results were reviewed and determined. I hope this insight is helpful!
2/9 Echo Co. Wpns Plt 89-93
Last edited by dserrano on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dserrano

Postby willie » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:19 am

Hey John,
I just read your post asking where I'm at. I'm in Los Angeles.(July 8 post)
Also, about the VA and filing claims. I went to the Vietnam Vets Rep in Long Beach. She was pretty helpful. A couple of weeks after she submitted my claim I got a letter from the LA VA office saying they received my claim and are working on it. All the necessary doctors appointments have been done in a timely manner.
A vet buddy of mine from northern california had his claim settled in 6 months.
So far so good.
S/F
Willie
willie

Return to 2/9 Echo Company