Rotation

Moderator: Fasst1

Rotation

Postby tomfen » Wed May 13, 2009 2:12 pm

True story---My rotation date was two days away and I was to fly out of DaNang to Okinawa, then to Travis AFB in California.

About 7 of us boarded a C-130 in Quang Tri headed to DaNang. No seats, just sit on the deck against the webbing.

We were informed that the DaNang air field was receiving incoming and we were rerouting to Cam Rahn Bay.

Cam Ranh Bay was a secure enough base for the President to land there, and man, was it huge.

When we landed we were told by the AF loadmaster that there would no more flights to DaNang that day. Nervous about missing our ride home we

said, 'Yo, Sarge you don't understand, we're rotating tomorrow'. He said, 'don't worry, I'll get you outta here first thing in the morning.'

'In the meantime why don't you guys go to the club?' 'You got a club?' 'Yea, three, officer, NCO, and enlisted, just go over there and get on the bus.

' You got buses?'

Sure enough we got on a bus and it took us to a club full of Air Force guys. They wouldn't let us buy a drink----they bought em for us.

The reception was absolutely not expected. Here we are in our mud crusted fatigues being treated like royalty. One guy even offered the use of his rack that night. 'You got mattresses?'

At one point I mentioned to an airman that a scotch would be great. He said, 'are you 21?' I said, 'yea'. He said, 'see that door over there,

just go through that and they serve the hard stuff if you're 21'. I thanked him, got up and walked through the door.

Next morning I woke up on a bench back at the air terminal. Don't remember a thing after walking through that door. Still can't handle the hard stuff~

Fortunately, one of the guys, Bill Taylor, I found out years later, got me back to the terminal.

We flew to DaNang and arrived in time to leave....................that was about November 21, 1968. Semper Fi
tomfen

Re: Rotation

Postby Curt Baillie » Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 pm

We were in field when the Company Clerk came in on a re-supply chopper. He came directly to me and said to "get on the bird" - I was going home. On that day I was the only one going home. Went back to Quang Tri and the next AM on a C130 to Da Nang. The next day I was in Okinawa. A couple of days later I was home sitting at the kitchen table eating cereal when the family woke up and saw me. They didn't know I was coming. It was all very strange. Tom, I see you're in Feasterville - I'm in West Chester. Small world........
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Postby tomfen » Thu May 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Curt,

We pretty much came at the same time and left at the same time with the exception of Golf & Fox. Small world indeed. I think I'm pretty fortunate with a couple of guys from Fox living pretty close to me. Mike Dugan (guns) was in the same platoon. I worked alongside his uncle before meeting him in VN. He lives 20 minutes away and for many years he was the only person with whom I discussed the VN experience. Also Ron McCall (guns, 1st Plt) lives nearby. I Knew Ron since second grade in Northeast Philly. He still lives in NE Philly. His 'A' gunner was/is Ted Ackoff who lives in pretty close in New Jersey.
A friend from high school and later in life, a neighbor, Joe Harrigan (tanks) spent the 77 day siege at KheShan.
How have you coped in the last 40+/- years? Tom F
tomfen

Postby Curt Baillie » Sun May 17, 2009 9:03 am

Over the years I've not talked too much about my experiences until my two sons joined the Army. One is still in the 101st and has spent 2 tours in Iraq. They are scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan. My other son is out of the Army, but currently in Iraq working as a CI Agent. When they decided to go into the Army, I sat them down and told them exactly what they were getting into. I told them what war was really about. Having done that - I think that has helped me the most.

The last few years, I've made plans to attend the 2/9 reunion but was detoured at the last moment due to business commitments. Maybe this year.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Return to 2/9 Fox Company