Brain Teaser

Moderator: Fasst1

Brain Teaser

Postby waltthomas » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 am

Does anyone remember the complete components of a SP pack? I can remember several items but I'm certain that my fellow boonie rats will be able to come up with the complete list. Those SP packs sure were a source of happiness to tired, hungry marines who have been out in the bush awhile.
waltthomas

Re: Brain Teaser

Postby tomfen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Walt,

I googled 'service pack' and the results s all are about fixes for Microsoft products. We're talking relic here. I feel old.
I did however, find this:
The accessory pack---Originally, the accessories and condiments were put in a 12-ounce can. However, their bulk led to the development of an accessory package.
The brown butcher paper accessory pack contained sugar tablets, Halazone water purification tablets, a flat wooden spoon, a piece of candy-coated chewing gum, 3 "short" sample 3-packs or one "long" sample 9-pack of commercial-grade cigarettes and a book of 20 cardboard moisture-resistant matches, a paper-wrapped P-38 can opener printed with instructions for its proper use, and several sheets of toilet paper. The P-38 can openers were generally worn on the GI's "dog tag" chain to facilitate opening the next meal's cans.

In 1945, the accessory pack was modified. Per the order of the Surgeon General, the Halazone tablets were removed and salt tablets were added. Also, feedback from the field revealed that soldiers who smoked often opened up accessory packs just to get the cigarettes and threw away the rest of the items. To reduce waste, the accessory pack was now divided into the "short" pack with cigarettes and matches and the "long" pack containing the other accessories.

Cigarette brands issued included Camel, Chelsea, Chesterfield, Craven "A"-Brand, Lucky Strikes, Old Gold, Philip Morris, Player's, Raleigh, and Wings. ( I somked them bad ass Lucky Strikes for quite a few years--no filters-hardcore (read stupid)
(check out the attachment)
Tom F
Attachments
jmt-vietnamaccessorypack.jpg
jmt-vietnamaccessorypack.jpg (59.39 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
tomfen

Re: Brain Teaser

Postby Curt Baillie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Some of the C-Rat cases contained rats. Very hard to see at 2:30AM.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Return to 2/9 Fox Company