Snakes

Moderator: Fasst1

Snakes

Postby waltthomas » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:20 am

Anyone out there have any memories of snake encounters?
waltthomas

Re: Snakes

Postby Doc Schmidt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Two snake stories:
One night moving in column, don't remember if it was Fox I was with at the time or Echo 2/9, when all of a sudden hand signals went down the line to hold up. Thought the point man saw some shit that was about to hit the fan. As the corpsman I was near the radio man and heard this: "I'm not moving until that fucking "telephone pole" finishes crossing the trail in front of me. After what seemed a period of time we again moved out. I can only guess it was a large python.
We were all told about the "two step " snake. I never knew what they looked like, just didn't want to test the number of steps if you got bit. On one operation and it was hotter than hell, we were told to take a five minute breather, so we fell out off of the trail which had brush just a foot or so beyond us. A couple of marines were sitting across from me looking over my back, and myself and another marine were on the opposite side looking out over their backs. All of a sudden I and the guy next to me see this damn snake slither faster than shit between the two marines across from us, and myself and the marine next to me about shit because the MF was headed right at us. I rolled one way and he rolled the other and the thing shot between us into the brush behind us. Don't know what kind, but because of the stories, in our minds, it was a "two step" snake, our fatigue pants were a little dirtier in the ass than usual.
Doc Schmidt
Doc Schmidt

Postby waltthomas » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:07 am

That story brings back some memories. We ( 2nd Plt, 3rd squad ) had a similar experience while at Cam Lo. We were ordered to go on an ambush one night and to sneak around the big hill outside the base and set up in order to try and catch whoever was sporadically placing mines on the road. I guess that the morning road sweeps were finding a mine(s) at times. Anyways we went out and set up about 30 yards from the road. On this particular night we took a starlight scope with us which was attached to one rifle ( I can't remember whose rifle it was mounted on ). These scopes were very new and we were told to be sure that it didn't fall into enemy hands while we were using it. The ambush was set up so that half of the squad was sleeping and the other half was up and watching. It was pretty dark that night. Squad leader Bill Waldrip and his part of the ambush had just finished their 2 hour watch when he woke me up and wispered that it was our watch and he handed me the rifle with the starlight scope on it. He said that nothing was happenein and started to get comfortable. I listened to the night sounds for a few minutes and then I clicked the starlight scope on. I scanned the road and saw that someone had placed a large log across the entire width of the road. I wispered to Bill asking him about the log which wasn't there during my last 2 hour watch. He straightebed up and grabbed the rifle with the scope and said that it hadn't been there a few minutes before. We alerted the squad and Bill and I crawled down to investigate. Bill had a 45 with him and I had my M16 on full auto facing toward the opposite side of the road. Bill went to the road edge and wispered back to me to come up with him. I wispered back asking him what was wrong and he said DO NOT SHOOT and come up. I cautiousely came forward the last few feet and saw a huge snake stretched across the entire lenght of the road. Bill, who I always wondered about his sanity, picked up a rock and tossed it on the snake's head. The snake raised its head up and looked at us. About that time I grabbed Bill and dragged him back to the ambush site. We told the squad what was happening when we got back. You'd think that everything would have settled down after that but, as my half of the squad was getting settled for our 2 hour watch, I scanned the road and saw that the snake was gone! I'm not certain if anyone slept the rest of the night.

Anyways, that was one snake story and we had another experience with smaller snakes later on.
waltthomas

Postby dudley hunt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:45 pm

i don't remember if it was with 1st plt fox of 2nd plt hotel but my story wasn't about snakes but hornets...point man went down off a ridgeline and the next thing i saw was marines running back up the hill and past me...1st one i saw had big hornets crawling all over his head...they popped smoke to keep the things away then asked for vol to go back down and pick up any weapon that were dropped..i medivac 3 marines out when they left.. ones head size had doubled....more afraid of them hornets than any snakes...doc hunt
"corpsman up"
dudley hunt

Postby waltthomas » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 am

I remember a spider story. We were ???? and had to cut our way through the jungle and I was on the point because it was my turn on the machette. I was sweating profusely and focused on the chopping. I was looking down at the jungle and was not looking up when the man behind me tugged on my flack jacket. I turned around and he pointed straight ahead and sitting in the vegatation was a huge spider about the size of a man's fist. I was about to walk into it. It was big and ugly.
waltthomas

Postby images2u » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 pm

We were on a patrol outside of Gio Linh, I had only been in the Nam a couple of weeks, after coming out the tree line on the north side of the DMZ, we were walking in the open and crossing a tank bridge. i was in the middle of the squad and as I was crossing the tank bridge I notice this big brown thing moving under the bridge, the tail was on one side of the bridge and its head was on the other side. I looked at the guy in front of me and he was not alarm and the guy behind me me was not alarm. So I acted like it was an everyday occurrence too. When we got back to Gio Linh I asked the members in my bunker did they see that big brown snake under that tank bridge. And they said what snake!
Raymond Henderson
Fox 2/9 2nd Plat. Guns 1967-68
images2u

Postby waltthomas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am

I was involved in another snake episode when our squad went out on an ambusk one night near ????( I don't remember ). We were quietly heading out for the ambush site when an illumination round went off near us. As usual we went down until the light went out. While we were down I heard a noise or sound between myself and the marine in front of me. It sounded like someone pissing on dry leaves. In fact the marine in front of me quietly wispered asking me if I was pissing. I wispered back that I wasn't but the sound we heard was coming from the ground between us. About that time another illumination round went off closer to us and we stayed down waiting for the light to go out before continuing to our ambush site. It was then that I noticed that the " sound " that was coming from the ground between myself and the other marine was several snakes. They were somewhat short; maybe 12 or 15 inches long and were together in a group about half way between the two of us. I quietly told the other marine not to move and spread the word to the other squad members. The squad leader came back ( Bill Waldrip ) and surveyed the situation form a distance of several feet. By this time the illumination rounds had burned out and we were in the dark. It was decided that myself and the other marine would jump away from the snakes when the squad leader counted to three. Other squad members came up near us and very slowly took weapons and ammo from us so that we could make a clean jump with a minimal amount of extra gear. On the count of three we both jumped, he jumped forward and I leaped backward. I believe that the two of us could have won gold medats in any Olympic game for the distance that we covered in the jumps. Anyways no one was bitten and we continued on to our ambush site. I don't know what kind of snakes they were but, at that time, I was worried that they might be bamboo vipers which we called " two steppers ".
waltthomas

Return to 2/9 Fox Company