1968 Cam Lo

Moderator: Fasst1

1968 Cam Lo

Postby waltthomas » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:44 am

I was watching a documentary on the Tet Offensive on TV and it brought back some memories from being at Cam Lo during that period. On one night we were advised that a large scale attack by a NVA force was a strong possibility with the possibility of being over run. They were concerned enough that thermite gernades were issued to all the artillery pieces in case were were over run. Does anyone else remember this?
waltthomas

Re: 1968 Cam Lo

Postby Curt Baillie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 pm

I remember sitting just off the South end of the Cam Lo bridge in a 60mm pit when all hell broke loose.
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Postby Babysohn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:10 am

Walt, I was at the Cam Lo compound when it got hit. A machinegunner from 4th Marines got the CMH there. I was a squad leader in Echo company at the time. We had rode a convoy down to Dong Ha the day before and we were on the return trip to Camp Carroll when the convoy was ambushed. My squad, a corpsman and a gun team were told to go up a hill to the west of the villiage to see if we could spot gun flashes and call in artillery. Then the convoy left us up there, so we walked back to the villiage. We were fed and put on the perimeter that night, 1 February. During the morning of 2 February, after a fierce mortar and rocket barrage, they hit the lines with a full scale attack. The fight lasted all night. LCPL Maxam was awarded the MOH. I lost one guy killed and several of us were wounded. I took a round in the chest. There is a stoy on the internet by James Coan titled "Tet attack at Cam Lo." He also authored a great book titled "Con Thien, the Hill of Angles". It is a complete history of Leatherneck Square and operations around there.
Babysohn

Postby Curt Baillie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:36 pm

What a wonderfully written account ....
http://mcvthf.org/VPATetCam.htm
Golf 2/9 0341
11/10/67 - 11/03/68
Curt Baillie

Postby waltthomas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:24 am

After reading further about the Cam Lo battle I realized that I was originally referring to FSB C3 where I was stationed and the night where intelligence thought that we were going to get hit by a large NVA force which didn't happen. Sorry about the mistake but it has been a long time ago.
waltthomas

Postby tomfen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Add me to the thank you list. I don't remember exactly where we were ( C-2, C-3, Cam,Lo) but I do remember being on full alert.
Nothing happened, however I could hear that there were many explosions and firefights not very distant. 3rd Plt stayed put, I think.

My friend since 2nd grade, Ron McCall was in 1st or 2nd Plt. His gun team was attached to a group that were sent to a nearby compound for added security.
That group saw plenty of action that night. McCall was a gunner and told me there were plenty of dead enemy in the morning.

Tom F, Fox, 67-68
tomfen

Return to 2/9 Fox Company