Agent Orange

Moderator: Fasst1

Agent Orange

Postby waltthomas » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:15 pm

I had a visit with a urologist this week and they wanted to review my medical history as part of the first visit agenda. One question that I was asked was if I was in Viet Nam and whether I was exposed to agent orange. I replied that I was a Viet Nam veteran and wasn't certain if I was exposed to any of the defoliant while there. That question kinda jogged my memory and, later, I vaguely remembered seeing three U.S. aircraft dropping some type of whitish mist or fog on an area in the distance while we were guarding a bridge during the summer of 1968. I was so surprised by the incident that I took a pic of the aircraft immediately after they misted or dusted the area. I still have the pic which clearly shows the whitish cloud near the ground.

I am now wondering if the material was agent orange and also wonder if anyone else from 2nd platoon of Fox remembers this event which occurred around June of '68.
waltthomas

Re: Agent Orange

Postby tomfen » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Walt, being in 3rd plt I probably wasn't there at the time, but Mike Dugan of the 3rd has a similar photo.

The I Corps area was heavily sprayed with AO, I believe we drank it, breathed it, bathed in it, and ate some.
So far so good on my end........waiting for that shoe to drop.

The attached pic was taken from the Internet.......
Attachments
agent-orangejpg-.jpg
AO spraying
agent-orangejpg-.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 13981 times
tomfen

Postby waltthomas » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 pm

My cousin-in-law ( veteran married to my first cousin ) was a wounded Army, Viet Nam veteran ( M60 machine gunner ) who had numerous medical problems during his life. He once commented to me that he didn't understand why he had so many medical conditions. Shortly before he died last year the VA told him that they were all related to agent orange exposure during his tour in Viet Nam. At least he had some measure of understanding when he understood the cause of his problems.
waltthomas

Postby tomfen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Walt,

This year in January I was diagnosed with a disease called PMR (Polymyalgia rheumatica).
It is a painful and debilitating upper body condition that is treated with a steroid (predisone).
After 6 months of gradually reduced doses I am off the steroid and so far not in any pain.
I wonder if this PMR condition is somehow caused by A/O.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20023162

I researched claims filed with the VA for PMR and found quite a few.......but all were denied.
Imagine that!

Tom F, Fox 67-68
tomfen

Postby waltthomas » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:50 pm

I was told that my deceased cousin-in-law had several confrontations with the VA over his numerous medical problems. He struggled for years to get a clear understanding of what was behind his health problems. He was finally told ( about a year or so ) before his death that A/O was the root cause. He was angry and at the same time pleased to finally understand. I think that he was awarded 100% disability ( finally).

Don't give up on your pursuit on this matter. There is certainly a chance that it was caused by normal, random issues but there is certainly a chance that A/O was that key factor in your getting this. Good Luck.
waltthomas

Return to 2/9 Fox Company