Draft Board Story

Moderator: Fasst1

Draft Board Story

Postby waltthomas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:49 am

I had a chance meeting last Tuesday with a former Marine. He was wearing a USMC ball cap and I tod him that we shared a common bond. He was older than me and told me that he served 2 years between the Korean War and the Viet Nam War. He surprised me when he told me that he enlisted at the age of 15. I guess that he looked old for that age, he never explained how he got in at that age. Anyways, he left the Marines at age 17. He returned to Paris, Tennessee and found a job. A few months before his 18th birthday he received a letter from the draft board informing him that he had to register by age 18. He figured that he was exempt because of his 2 years of service and threw the letter away. A month or two later he received another letter that explained the law and threatened him with penalties if he failed to sign up. He finally went down to the draft board and explained his situation. They were amazed and let him go.

I was a little suspicious of someone claiming to have enlisted at 15 but when I questioned him about Marine Corps life and duty stations ( eapecially Camp Lejuene ) his answers sounded true. He never tried to fluff off a question or change the subject so I believed him. He invited me to his house for a beer and to further discuss Marine life so I will go down sometime and visit.
waltthomas

Re: Draft Board Story

Postby Doug Goodin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Speaking of 15-year-olds, Pfc. Dan Bullock, USMC was the youngest American KIA during the Vietnam War. He was Born on December 21, 1953, and was killed June 7, 1969 while serving with Fox Co. 2nd Battalion 5th Marines. Bullock altered his birth certificate and enlisted in the Marine Corps at the age of 14, went to Parris Island for boot camp and deployed to Vietnam on May 18, 1969. He was killed by small arms fire less than one month later.
God Bless Pfc. Dan Bullock - May He Rest In Peace.
Semper Fidelis.
Doug
Doug \"Goodie\" Goodin, E/2/9, Dec '66 to Jan '68
Doug Goodin

Return to 2/9 Fox Company