Mutters Ridge

Moderator: Fasst1

Mutters Ridge

Postby Pete1175 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Mutters Ridge. Mutters Ridge was the location of many firefights over the years for various units. Our time was the first time after the bombing was halted on North Vietnam. We were a blocking force for 500 NVA that were coming across the 'Z'. This action was an epiphany for me. It gave me a true hatred of politicians. We lost too many good men that night. It made me realize many things that I carry with me to this day. Semper Fi to all the men who sacrificed so much those 49 years ago. Pete Grosso
Pete1175

Re: Mutters Ridge

Postby donald » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:21 am

I was lucky...
I wasn't there. I remember one night we had a battalion blocking force out in the rice patties south of the Z.
We were walking around a rice patty burm when ,in the darkness, I saw a figure walk out into the middle of a patty.
In the darkness I could only see a figure wearing a floppy hat and wrapped in a blanket. I heard the sound of safties clicking to full automatic behind me. I shouldered my weapon and prepared to open fire, when from behind me Kelly yelled out HALT WHO GOES THERE!!!
The figure turn looked at us and said "f**k you", then from belind the opposite burm another figure with a 81mm mortar tube on his shoulder walked out to the middle of the patty and caber tossed the tube, followed by one carrying a butt plate and one caring ammo. We almost had a friendly fire incident.
ALMOST!!!
donald

Return to 2/9 Golf Company