The Ghost Gun

Moderator: Fasst1

The Ghost Gun

Postby donald » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:40 am

Has anyone heard of what happend after 1175 to McKlusky's gun?
McKlusky slumped dead on top of the gun after he was hit.
His A-gunner took over as gunner.
He told me, after I came back from the hospital on Guam, that he cleaned that gun thourghly.
He took it apart and cleaned with it gasoline and motor oil after everytime he fired it.
Yet, everytime the gun was fired in practice or in combat, blood would oze out of the action.
Has anyone else heard this story?
Or talked to the gunner?
donald

Re: The Ghost Gun

Postby Pete1175 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:37 pm

Donald,
I was the gunner in Bob Mcklusky's team. You have a couple of facts wrong about that day. It is not surprising since it was 43 years ago. When we were ambushed coming down the hill a "guns up" call went out and Bob and I went up to the position behind the big rock where most of our guys were taking up a position. Bob was squad leader and had been the gunner for quite some time without firing it in a combat situation. He had carried it and had is name scratched in the cover along with all the gunners who carried it before him. I also scratched my name into it below his. When he got promoted to squad leader I became the gunner. This is before we started on Dewey Canyon. He and I were inseperable for the time we were together and we had agreed that if the chance arose he would fire the gun one last time. I of course agreed.

When we got behind that rock Bob took the gun from me and I took his rifle. We were putting out a tremendous amount of fire power where the small trees that were in our way were shot down and the dimness of the jungle canopy started to get lighter. This is when the gun jammed and he got hit clearing it. I wrote about the blood oozing out of the gun. It is on some of our earlier writings about this time. Look for them in the G company site.

I dunked the gun in the river finally when we got down the hill because of the weird way it oozed blood even after disassembling it. One officer saw me cleaning it before we got off the hill and said what a good marine to be doing that when we were all so exhausted. Little did he know it was only because it was freaking me out. My name is Pete Grosso.
Pete1175

Postby donald » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:42 am

Pete,
Were you a police officer before you were a Marine? And were you dafted into the Corps?
Don
donald

Postby Pete1175 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:13 am

Donald,
Yes. I was offered staff sgt., 8 grand, and OCS to reup. Sometimes sorry I didn't.....Pete
Pete1175

Postby donald » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Pete,
Memory is a tricky thing. I've read the posts of others who were on Dewey Canyon... I think it's all a matter of perspecttive.
I wrote a narative discription of combat experience on 1175 twenty years ago, I keep it stashed away, it helps. I don't have too keep it in my head.
Semper Fi,
Don
donald

Return to 2/9 Golf Company