Action Jackson of 1175

Moderator: Fasst1

Action Jackson of 1175

Postby donald » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 am

He was the only guy in the company that I ever saw break and run. He was 3rd platoon radioman...
I was struck on the back of my radio by a rifle grenade. I thought someone was trying to get my attention, as I turned back to look, I saw Jackson takeoff. He ran straight up the hill away from the fight. He looked like a monkey swinging through the trees.
Lt. Carson was looking sraight ahead and didn't see him go. When he (Lt. Carson) held out his hand for the hand set he looked around for Jackson and saw him up the hill looking down from behind a tree. Carson yelled "JACKSON get your ass back down here". Since there was nowhere for him to go, he complied.
Anybody who was there remember that?
donald

Re: Action Jackson of 1175

Postby Mad-Doc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't know who you are - but sounds like you're trying to bad mouth & stir up some sh*t concerning Maxie Jackson, I may be wrong & have the wrong Jackson. If you look on the "Our Men on the Wall" at April 21, 1969 you'll see his name. Maxie & I were in the bush together for awhile & went thru some bad stuff together. Once, not long after some bad fighting & still in NVA territory, Maxie came down with a very high fever & could hardly move. I was going to med-evac him, suspecting malaria, but he refused to go. Instead he humped on & the jungle heat was intense. I really admired his fortitude. I couldn't say that about everyone back then. I later saw him in a body bag, with a jagged hole in his head.

I'd recommend staying with the old adage; If you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything at all.

Jim Maddox
former HM3
Golf co & BAS
2/9 RVN
'68-'69
Mad-Doc

Postby donald » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:27 pm

Was he black?
donald

Postby Mad-Doc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Yes - and Golf company Radio Operator. One reason he may have been extra skittish, is he had a brand new born baby girl at home. I'm sure he wanted to make it back to see her. He didn't! Hey, we were all scare over there at times. I had my moments for sure & wasn't the bravest John Wayne in the group. I never said anything when someone "accidentally" shot himself in the leg, I could understand their fear. And believe me I know some folks that went WAY over-the-top to get out of the field.

Evidently, that last day when he got it in his foxhole on Cunnigham, he was standing his ground. That should make up for any other time he may not of.

I met his wife & daughter at a reunion in the late 90's & they are still HEART BROKEN.

Let the dead rest in Peace.
Mad-Doc

Postby donald » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 pm

First of all let me say that I'm glad I didn't go into the pussy Navy.
Secondly, If I had a wife I would have had a life and the military would not have been able to find me.
And third most of all, I didn't like Jacksons attitude.
Number 4... My balls are made out of ice. And I've proved it !!!
donald

Postby pat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 pm

how old are you? you must be in your 60s and you still talk like that. everybody there had their weak moments now and then but the man died in combat for his country.
leave it alone. I was not in golf but Echo co. but I felt I had to respond to the way you spoke about that marine.
Pat Corvaglia
E Co. 2nd plt. 2nd squad
67/68
pat

Postby tomfen » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Pat,

I was in Fox. Didn't know Jackson or Donald. However, I agree with you----------leave the dead alone. They have paid their dues in spades. Picking a point man and then carrying his remains in a poncho will keep a Marine humble forever.
And yes, I was scared too. Only a fool was not.

Tom F, Fox 67-68
tomfen

Postby dudley hunt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 am

well i was in that navy...but i also was a former marine who went through boot camp on the island in 1960...i have nothing but respect for the corps and all that served with me...i also agree it was such a long time ago let the dead be...remember brother it is always semper fi...i put my life in your hands many a time...and trusted you with it...and proud to say i was a " grunt doc" with the corps....
"corpsman up"
dudley hunt

Return to 2/9 Golf Company