Comm Center at Task Force Hotel

Moderator: Fasst1

Comm Center at Task Force Hotel

Postby donald » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 pm

I remember walking into our troop tent and seeing McClusky laying on his poncho and poncho liner on the ground. He was drunk and had this smile on his face. He reached over and picked up the hand set of a radio, keyed the hand set and said We need a s@#ter, Have Brig. Gen. Carney come down here did us one. I guess they were monitoring all the radio frequencies in the comm shack and Brig. Gen. Carney was there and heard him say it. McClusky spent the few days digging a 6' by 6' by 6' hole with an e-tool.

I wonder if they were monitoring the transmissions while we were moving up the trail in the Ah Shaw and skirmishing with the NVA?
And during the firefight on 1175?
And I wonder if they kept audio records?
And I wonder if the public can access those records?
I wonder who I could ask?
Does anyone know?
donald

Re: Comm Center at Task Force Hotel

Postby Les » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Donald,
I doubt seriously that any of the radio traffic was ever officially recorded. I would be really cool if it had been but it wouldn't have been at the COC bunker. Just my opinion and I could be wrong. I was a radioman and operated for S3 all my tour in VN. We barely had enough radios to go around so monitoring other freq's would have been highly unlikely. However, there is a phenomenon called bleedover which can occur when your really close proximity to another radio and its frequency. Thats what probably happened to your buddy. Where did this incident happen?
Les Stevenson
2/9 H&S Radios
66-67
Les

Postby donald » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 pm

It happened in a troop tent in our Btn. area at VCB. Task Force Hotel HQ was up on the hill side on the eastern side of the base. I had a look in the door of the comm room. It was a long room with a long table on both sides of the room. There were radio recivers side by side with an operator in front of each. The radios weren't PRC 25's. They were more sophisticated. Each had an operator wearing earphones. There was the muffled sound of voices.There was a ballon antenna outside. Somebody said they could talk to the world. The room was dark lit only by the lights of the radio instruments. Does that give any clues?
donald

Postby Les » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Hmmm...way out of my league. All I ever used was a PRC25 in the commnad bunker. I never saw anything like what you described. But, I didn't poke around in the other bunkers. They could have very well been monitoring the traffic. What base?
Les Stevenson
2/9 H&S Radios
66-67
Les

Postby donald » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Vandergrift Combat Base did not exist when you were in country.
I got a look inside because I was on sand bag detail outside.
Task Force Hotel was a complex of large sandbagged bunkers.
donald

Return to 2/9 Golf Company