1175 48 years ago Feb. 5

Moderator: Fasst1

1175 48 years ago Feb. 5

Postby Pete1175 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Once again it is time to post regarding 1175. It is now 48 years since our time on "tiger mountain". Whenever it rains for days on end I remember the climb up that mountain. No food and soaked to the skin. I mostly remember the firefight on the way down. The jungle canopy being shot away letting light shine down onto the killing ground.

I will raise a glass once again to my friends who didn't make it off that slope. Also to the men that did make it home and think the same thoughts whenever it rains. Semper Fi.....Pete Grosso
Pete1175

Re: 1175 48 years ago Feb. 5

Postby Rooker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Here is to Pete and those that didn't make it Tom, Doc, McClusky etc. Hill 1175 proved the spirit and dedication of our Company. I was glad to be able to return to it on April 9th after a stay in Guams Naval Hospital. My time in the Corps was built on my time with my friends on that day and the days after. God bless.
Rooker

Postby rbowen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Pete,Thanks for once again reminding us to never forget those that we lost on that mountain. as for me, I think about them almost every day. So yes, let's raise a glass and several more to salute all those that gave their lives on that day and the following days on that mountain. And raise them again for all of us that survived to remember them. Semper Fi, Ron "Bo" Bowen '68-'69
rbowen

Postby Rooker » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:12 pm

I have had flowers attached to the fence at a playground in Queens dedicated to Tom. Unfortunately, the business folded and I could not find a florist that I could trust. So since Tom was a fitness buff and loved kids. I have donated to St. Jude now in his name every Feb 4th and Nov 10th since 2012. I hope he approves because it is left to us to keep the memories good and bad alive keep their names alive forever.. The Marine Corps museum has two very good displays Hill 881 and Op Dewey Canyon. I am 66 now and every day I ask myself did I live up to Tom's sacrfrice. I can only hope my life was worth his sacrfice and in the end we can talk about it and he can tell me where I screwed up! :lol:

Semper Fi Marines
Rooker

Return to 2/9 Golf Company