Harvest Moon -Ky Phu 12/65

Moderator: Fasst1

Harvest Moon -Ky Phu 12/65

Postby danderson » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Anyone with Hotel company during the fight at Ky Phu when Barum won his MoH?
danderson

Re: Harvest Moon -Ky Phu 12/65

Postby marineraider » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:33 pm

....18 Dec 65. Remember it well.........too well. Capt Gormley, our company CO was killed early on in that ambush. We were attached to 2/4 for that operation and Lt. Barnum was with artillery. He was the arty FO for that operation.
After we got back to the battalion CP, LT. Barnum was having someone take his picture and Mike Schille and I were walking by and he asked me if he could barrow my rifle for a moment. I handed him the M-14 and he knealt and the picture was taken..........Years later I bought a VietNam Magazine because it had a article about Harvest Moon. There was Lt. Barnum with the M-14. That was R. Blakely's rifle. We used to switch because his had a selector switch and mine didn't. My stock was walnut and his was birch which is a blond colored wood. That is how I knew it was Blakely's rifle.
Blakely lives in Arizona and I would love to talk to him.
I still have that magazine with the picture of his rifle. ( Wish it were my rifle!) Since it is Blake's rifle, I am sure he would want that picture.
marineraider

Postby danderson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm

No Raider, You guys were attached to 2/7. You joined the operation after E 2/7 got shot up assaulting hill 407. I was the RO half of a two man FO team for 81's attached to E 2/7 and joined H 2/9 after Echo left the field. The only other member of 2/7 with H 2/9 that day was Paul B Gormly's Battalion TAC RO , Don Karlin who was killed with Gormley. I spent the day at Barnum's side. Just trying to refresh the old memeory cells these days.

email: danderson@pyramid.net
danderson

Postby Doug Goodin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:24 pm

danderson,
You are correct - H company was attached to 2/7 - see recent post regarding unit awards for H 2/9 - they received the Navy Unit Citation as a supporting unit to 2/7 during Operation Harvest Moon - 8 to 20 December 1965. Corrected the year on 4/19/2013
Semper Fi.
Doug
Doug \"Goodie\" Goodin, E/2/9, Dec '66 to Jan '68
Doug Goodin

Postby marineraider » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Danderson and Doug. Thanks for the correction. I knew it was 2 something that we were attached to. I stand corrected. 2/7. I have been thinking about about where I might have come up with the 2/4 thing. During that shuffle of personnel throughout the 3rd Marine Division, Several Marines from my previous company, Delta 1/9, were sent to Hotel 2/9. Stenzel, Soares, Schille, LeDent and me (Dale Strawn). There was a fire team leader in our squad, Cpl. Hagman,that came from 2/4. He used to talk about Col. "Bull" Fisher from 2/4.
marineraider

Return to 2/9 Hotel Company