New H 2/9 Member Coming On Board

Moderator: Fasst1

New H 2/9 Member Coming On Board

Postby Caster » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:06 pm

My name is Lloyd and, I joined H 2/9 in Feb, 69, once they came off Operation Dewey Canyon. I remained with H 2/9 until Feb, 70, when I DEROSED from Okinawa back to the world. As soon as possible, I hope to post numerous photos I have of H 2/9 members, from Kei Gio Bridge, and other postings in Nam. I'm hoping to catch up with some of you who served with me. The last major Op I was on, and wounded, was Cameron Falls. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Also, thanks Gabe for getting my login problem solved! You are the man!!
Caster

Re: New H 2/9 Member Coming On Board

Postby hal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:31 am

Lloyd,
Is this the same Lloyd Caster who served as my radio operator? I remember you very well. You jumped into the Dakrong River to help save wounded marines who had ridden their CH-46 medevac helicopter into the river. As I recall, you weren't much of a swimmer, but that didn't stop you. I have often thought of your act of bravery. I hope you're well.
Best regards,
Hal Parrott
hal

Re: New H 2/9 Member Coming On Board

Postby Caster » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Hal,
Yes, this is the same Caster who went swiming that night on the Da Krong. I can still vividly recall the helicopter being shot down and going into the river. I remember only that I could swim better than another marine who was going to go in. It never occurred to me that there were people who would want to shoot me while in the water. You're the second person I've had contact with who was there on Cameron Falls. Pete Orsi has also been in contact with me. I remember being the radioman for a while. Also,I recall, after being wounded, Doc gave me a Darvon and, I kept getting drowsy while operating as the radioman that mourning prior to being medivaced out. To this day, I'm scared of pain pills and, even after a shoulder surgery, I only used ice for the pain.

Hope you have a safe holiday. My e-mail address is listed onthe Boards' Members Listing under Hotel Company members.

Lloyd
Caster

Return to 2/9 Hotel Company