Snake for Dinner

Moderator: Fasst1

Snake for Dinner

Postby BobAverill » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:48 am

When in mid July 68, the Bn lifted in toward the base of Hill 174, Capt Ellison went to the rear to prepare to rotate and I was given command of the Co. Being the Jr Co Cmdr. Lt. Col Knight made H the Bn reserve which we didn't especially like since everyone else got to go on patrols in areas where we thought the NVA had base camps earlier that year. So H&S Co set up on the south side of the perimeter and H had the north side. Probably less than 100 meters in front of us we(H) had a creek that that was deep and cool flowing by us. 1st Plt. requested that we use it to bathe in, which I concurred with. I requested permission from the Col who granted it giving me the usual warnings to have the area secure. Probably about 30 minutes into the swim time 2 shots were fired from a .45. Obviously, on the radio, we asked what was happening, where upon we learned that a snake had been shot, SSgt. Stoker was on the radio telling me he saw it swimming down the creek toward his Marines so he eliminated the threat. I suggested we eat the sucker since it was big. While Stoker was giving me the rundown on the fresh dinner. The Bn radio operator was getting some feedback from my radio man. Then I heard "Put your actual on" whereupon I grabbed the handset keyed it and stated "Hotel 6 Actual". I was then informed to put the action report- into the proper format and follow proto-call. So as my radio man looked at me with that puzzled grin I said friendly- 0 KIA 0 WIA, enemy- 1KIA O-WIA. Of course it was all converted to shackle code and submitted with a proper smile. Once Bn decoded it, Bn 6 said "bring the body to my CP". Four Marines draped that 16+ft over their shoulder and marched right up to the Bn CP along with me.

The Col. made some comment about getting that snake out of his CP, I invited the Col to dinner.

The snake was laid out down by my Co CP where it was skinned and chunked into 6" pieces. We cooked it up every which way we had available and poured what ever sauce on it we had. Boiled, Bar-b-qued - it didn't matter, but it was sure good. Everyone in the Co that wanted some got some, the Col did come down to our pos, but I don't think he partook in the delicacy. The 3 did. We scrounged around for as much salt as we could find as one of the Marines thought it would make a great trophy. However, not enough salt was found. In a couple of days the owner of the skin pitched it due to the rank oder it provided.
BobAverill

Re: Snake for Dinner

Postby Larry Schmidt » Thu May 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Just want to say I was one of the Marines "Skinny Diping" that day. When we were told to get out of the water, we
were thinking we were getting hit by VC, untill our Sgt. shot two 45 rounds in the warter, all of a sudden the snake
bobbles to the top. Semper Fi welcome home. Larry Schmidt 0331. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Served with Hotel 2/9 from Aug '67 to Sept. '68
Larry Schmidt

Postby BobAverill » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Welcome also Larry. Quick question- Did you partake in the snake dinner?

Seems my access to the web got lost somewhere but Gabe has me re-connected which I appreciate.

SF
Bob
BobAverill

Postby Larry Schmidt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:14 pm

To be honest with you Bob, I was born and raised in Philly and was tought never to eat a rodent. Any way I had a can of Ham and Mother ******'s and a little bit of C4 and had my own feast. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great talking to you Bob, Keep in touch!!!!! Larry
Served with Hotel 2/9 from Aug '67 to Sept. '68
Larry Schmidt

Postby BobAverill » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Ham &. mo's were great- I usually didn't have to compete with anyone in the CP group for them. But still, being an old country boy, fresh game any day!!
Do you remember when the Army started running convoys up 9 and 1st Plt held the bridge by Mike's Hill? Stocker got a case of dried shrimp (B Rats) tossed off a truck for our enjoyment.
We let those little suckers soak for a few hrs in the gal can they came in. All who wanted some got some-- Did you partake?
Don't think we had any beer to enjoy with them- that seemed to be in short supply all the time!!!
BobAverill

Return to 2/9 Hotel Company