The Market Place, DMZ, 19 May 1967

Moderator: Fasst1

The Market Place, DMZ, 19 May 1967

Postby larry brinkman » Tue May 17, 2005 4:16 pm

It has now been 38 years since 3rd Platoon, Hotel, 2/9 did battle in the DMZ near the area on tactical maps noted as the: Market Place.

The platoon endured the battle on that day with with two squads and two Gun and Rocket Teams.

This post is to honor the nine Marines and one Navy Corpsman that gave their lives in the fierce battle agaist NVA in hardened bunkers hidden under fake huts. In addition, two tanks with their crews were knocked out.

Showing great determination, and enduring leadership the remaining platoon members and one squad took out the bunkers and the NVA.

May the brave Marine heroes of 3rd Plt , 3rd Tanks and our Corpsman Navy hero that were killed in that battle rest in peace and may God bless their families.

Semper Fi

Larry Brinkman, Plt. Sgt. ,3rd Plt., 1966-67
USMCIronman
larry brinkman

Market Place Battle

Postby jim delehant » Thu May 26, 2005 6:04 pm

Sgt. Brinkman,

I don't know if you remember me. I was one of the machine gunners on that day. I can't believe that it was 38 years ago. I remember what happened as if it was yesterday.
Thanks for posting the memorial message for the guys that were killed. I to will always remember them.

Semper Fi,
Jim Delehant
jim delehant

May 19th 1967 Battle in the Market Place

Postby larry brinkman » Fri May 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Jim:

I can still remember your last name. I am like you! The events of 18 and 19 May, 1967, seem like yesterday. With so many Marines of our platoon KIA and WIA and two tanks knocked out; we also, had one squad in the rear with the gear. I am still amazed that we were able to re-organize and finish-off the NVA.

We spent the entire day fighting those NVA in their bunkers. In the end the only way we could kill the NVA was to throw gernades in the back of the bunkers. It is my quess that they were rear guard and fought to the death.

The rest of the company only had minor contact. It was like we hit the main line of bunkers.

Thanks for posting. It is an honor to hear from a Marine that fought in one of the most fierce battles a platoon could have been in.

Semper Fi

Larry Brinkman, Plt. Sgt. 3rd Plt., Hog Co.
USMCIronman
larry brinkman

Re: Market Place Battle

Postby Jim Tiner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:05 pm

jim delehant wrote:Sgt. Brinkman,

I don't know if you remember me. I was one of the machine gunners on that day. I can't believe that it was 38 years ago. I remember what happened as if it was yesterday.
Thanks for posting the memorial message for the guys that were killed. I to will always remember them.

Semper Fi,
Jim Delehant

Jim,

I don't know if you remember me. I was also a machine gunner. But I left the field May 16, 1967. David Echols was my humper and James Offley was my gunner. Offley moved to team leader....Echols to gunner...and are you the guy who was their ammo humper? If not that team then you had to be with Brian Kelly's team.

I saw your post to Sgt Brinkman and thought I'd write.

Semper Fi
Jim Tiner
http://www.idopaper@yahoo.com
Jim Tiner

Re: The Market Place, DMZ, 19 May 1967

Postby jim delehant » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Jim:
What platoon were you in?

I was in 3rd platoon. On May 19th Harold Shelton was the squad leader, Jerry McGovern was my team leader, Bruce Gipson was my A-gunner, and Bob Brady was our ammo- humper. Tom "Rip" VanWinkle was 3rd platoon's other machine gunner.
Your name sounds familiar, as does Offaly and Echoes, but I can't be sure. I don't remember the other names you mention and I am pretty sure they weren't with Hotel 3rd platoon.

Semper Fi
Jim Delehant
jim delehant

Re: The Market Place, DMZ, 19 May 1967

Postby ripper » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:04 pm

MAY 19 1967 WILL FOREVER BE IN MY MIND ! I CARRIED THE GUN ! WE NEVER STOOD A CHANCE !! THANKS TO THE REST OF THE PLT. I AM ALIVE TODAY ! BRINKMAN , CLARK AND HAHN TO NAME A FEW !! THROWING GRENADES TO TRY AND KEEP THE NVA FROM GETTING OUR BODIES AND WEAPONS !! RADIO MAN BALL PUTTING DOWN FIRE TO KEEP THE NVA OFF US UNTIL THE PLT. GOT THERE ! GILLINGHAM CRAWLING OUT TO GET CORBINS BODY , HE WAS WOUNDED SEVERAL TIMES !! HE NEVER STOPPED UNTILL HE GOT CORBINS BODY CLEAR ! YEAH ONE HELL OF A DAY !! I ALWAYS WONDER WHAT THE OUTCOME WOULD HAVE BEEN IF THE GUN DIDNT GO DOWN ? I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE NOT MADE IT !
ripper

Return to 2/9 Hotel Company