Hotel Company Commander

Moderator: Fasst1

Hotel Company Commander

Postby Larry Schmidt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Does anyone remember the CO who had his finger pulled off jumping out of a 6X6 truck when his wedding band caught on something. All I remember is his nick name was Rocky.
Served with Hotel 2/9 from Aug '67 to Sept. '68
Larry Schmidt

Postby doc » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:06 pm

Damn, marriage is painful enough without that happening! :(

All kidding aside, I seem to recall the sideboards your back was up against had some sort of small rivets in them that were not always flush with the wood/metal. You could definetly get a loose ring (especially after losing weight) hung up on one of them if you were holding on to a sideboard while bailing out over the side.

Doc Collison
doc

Postby Sgt B » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:32 pm

the CO's name was Capt. R. W. Ellison, in the office we just referred to him as \"Skipper\"
Sgt B

Ellison's finger

Postby BobAverill » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:47 am

Actually Capt. Ellison ripped his ring finger off while getting out of a 175 gun ammo carrier. I only had been in country a few weeks and 1st Plt was on Mikes Hill when I joined them. When we went up to the \"rear\" at Carroll we were assigned to go give a show of force in this Ville. Susposdly had up to 50 VC/NVA in it. 2nd Plt was lead and 1st Plt was behind the CO group. I recall hearing a little small arms fire from up front. The next thing I remember was the Gunny calling 1 actual to get his butt up there as I was now the Co. C.O. The rest of the operation was uneventful. Ellison returned to Carroll 2 days later. I went back to 1st Plt.

A correction. After wrestling with this (I'm writing a book) Ellison probably did pull his finger off jumping out of a 6X6. It may have been only 1st Platoon that used a couple of the M548 ammo carriers to get into our blocking position. Anyone help me out there?
BobAverill

Return to 2/9 Hotel Company