The USS Upshur (Who went to Nam by ship?)

Moderator: Fasst1

Re: The USS Upshur (Who went to Nam by ship?)

Postby gunsup » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:55 pm

I went to Nam on USS Frances Marion Dec 9-66 but on my orders they put USNS Gaffey. They were wrong, I looked at the name on the side of the ship before I got on and I had another Bro that was in D-1/9 that went over the same time as me. I never understood that screw up! My ship was also run by Merchant Marines. A buddy got me to volunteer for the night laundry detail. I was really glad I did that. We had a Pilipino that ran the laundry. Every night he would go to the Captains mess and get us good chow for dinner. We had steaks and Lobster and shrimp. Good Chow! We worked at night and when morning came we would go to the head of the Chow line. It Pissed a lot of Marines off, but oh well. We would sleep during the day and work at night. I can remember standing in formation, just before we got to OK and a Marine ran up to the railing and threw up. It blew back on everyone. Marines broke rank and started to beat his dumb ass. Some started to throw up too! We had about 500 Sailors on board. One of the wise assed young Sailors called a Marine a "Sea Going Bell Hop". The Marine said back to him, "The Last Bell I hopped was your Sister" and a brawl broke out.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
gunsup

Postby Moring » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Alright Willie, it's getting that time of year. Three more days, 9th of March, forty nine years ago. We were taken to San Diego and loaded onto the USS Upshur, and we and headed to Nam. So, pack up your Sea-bag and grab your Didi bag and say good by to the folks, and that special someone!

Simper Fi
Joe
Moring

Postby willie » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:37 pm

OK Joe,
I'm packed and ready to go. Have all my utilities ready that don't quite fit anymore. I'll have to have a mama San let out the trousers. I'd like to have a little weekend Liberty inOceanside before we ship out. Maybe get a tattoo.
I'll pack all my meds too. Blood pressure, cholesterol, antacid , arthritis , and anti aging cream and false teeth .
That should take care of it. Can't wait for that first can of ham and limas.
Hopefully the Upshur has AC this time around. See you on the gang plank.
S/F
Willie
willie

Postby Moring » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:21 pm

OK Willie you can get your necessaries together and don't forget the 'Depends.' Instead of your riffle we will receive a walking cane. Instead of a National Defense medal we will receive a Longevity medal. I just hope we don't run into old man Ladle. He is a real pip when he can't fine his Bisquick.

All Right, All Aboard the USS Geezer, or Upshur.

Your Bro
Geritol Joe
Moring

Postby willie » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Gerritol Joe,
That's a good handle. You know the Nam has changed a little over the years. You can stay in a 5 star hotel at Khe Sahn
And may other places we vacationed at over there. But if I know you, you'd rather stay in your old bunker just the same. You think those cat sized rats are still alive eating the food out of our C-rat cans.
Hopefully we won't get the 12 to 4 watch on the lines. That's way past my bedtime bro..
Willie
willie

Postby Moring » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:19 pm

Willie I think we are allowed to do 1/2 hour watches now. I hope the old NVA don't attack. If they think the Marines were bad wait till they have to face a company of old guys on walkers, no TV, and they just had their Medicare-Cut. It would be a Siege in reverse. I heard that they have a great Cook's Helper working at one of the hotels you were talking about. They say he tells some great heroic stories and how he saved his unit. They say to bring along an all day sac lunch. Do you think they will make us fill sand bags again like the first time. I think I could fill about 1/3 of a sandbag and then take a nap. No, I will pass on staying in my bunker. If I got down into
it I probably couldn't get back out.

Your bro
Prune Juice Joe
Moring

Postby willie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Prune Juice,
If I remember right First few days at sea guys were hurling while laying in those racks they stacked 10 high. Being on the bottom would have been nice getting all the splatter flying around.
We could always go on deck and get some fresh air. Be careful. Guys were known to upchuck out there too. Lots of nice blow back.
Loved the smell down below.
Willie
Did I miss anything
willie

Postby willie » Mon May 01, 2017 8:26 pm

50 years ago today we flew into Khe Sahn. First time for me but 2nd trip for many. Didn't know much about that base until
The C130 made a U turn and dipped down toward the runway. Then the chatter started from the men that were here earlier
This same year.
Still hard for me to believe I was there. After two weeks I was ready to get out of that place.

S/F
Willie
E 2/9
willie

Postby Moring » Thu May 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Amen Brother Willie!
Moring

Postby Tom Reasch » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 pm

I went over seas on the USS Mitchell it was also carrying dependents of Military personnel, we left Long Beach in June 1965. We were 2/5/1 from Camp Margarita at Camp Pendleton, we also made stops in Hawaii, and Japan, then ported in Okinawa to Camp Hansen for training. We left there aboard another ship and made our landing at Danang on August 15, 1965 as 3/9/3

Semper Fi
Thomas Reasch
Nam 65-66
81\"s 2/9/3 What else can be said, except 2/9 was \"Hell in a Helmet\"!!!!!!!!!!
Tom Reasch

Previous

Return to 2/9 General Discussion